Friday, May 22, 2009

Book signing




Random images from a book signing that Jordan gave for her friends tonight at my house. Jacob spent the evening in a Spiderman costume (and often with a mask) running around yelling "Yaaah!" at people, after he got over about an hour of shyness. And then he couldn't decide if he wanted to go home or stay with Juju--I'm now listening to him on the monitor. He is not asleep. I think, from the sound, he's playing with his cars.
The party was lots of fun because all the young people were friends of mine too. One, who works with Jamie, brought his wife and came from Dallas--he and Jordan had been high school buddies. Jordan's boss was here, mostly because her daughter and Jordan were friends as very young children and Tori, the daughter, is in one of the pictures in the book. And the lady above is the mother of one of Jordan's friends--she bought the book to encourage her daughter to cook. Several people bought more than one copy, which was encouraging. I have published enough books that it surprises me when people says, "It's not everyday you know someone who has written a book" and similar things. But I admit I have more of myself invested in the cookbook memoir than many of the books I've done.
Tomorrow night--porch party to eat the leftover dips. I asked Jordan what she was doing and she said, "Well, nothing, until Jay invited me to a party on your porch!"
My neighbor, Greg, whom I just met but who is now doing my garden for me, turns out to be lots of fun and very knowledgeable about plants, particularly the native plants that I love. He did a wonderful job of cleaning out beds today, and I think after he's had the garden for a season, it will really show a big change, so I'm excited. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask him and his wife to join us for a porch party.
All is quiet from Jacob and it's probably time for me to go to bed too.

No comments: