Sunday, December 12, 2010

My KInd of Sunday

It was definitely my kind of day, with a twinge of guilt because I didn't go to church. But I slept so late that when I finally pushed back the covers both animals were desparate--the dog to go pee, the cat to eat (I remember going to the bathroom at 4:00 a.m. and being so in a good sleep mood that I didn't feed him as I often do). I piddled--washed my hair, read the paper, read e-mails--until almost ten. Then baked the cookie dough I'd made last night and got things ready for supper tonight. Even made homemade croutons--they are so much better, you wonder why you ever use the others. Tonight I saved the leftover salad--not sure if I'll eat it tomorrow or not but it had sliced hearts of palm, feta, and those good croutons. I thought just lettuce would make a dull salad and hadn't thought to buy an avocado or anything, so I searched the cupboard. I always have hearts of palm and I had French bread to serve tonight--voila! a salad!
Then I spent much of the afternoon reading the novel I'm deep into--one reason I'm not a great, famous and wealthy writer is that I keep getting distracted  reading other people's books. I tell myself it's education.Took a nap and then bustled around getting dinner ready.The black bean soup was great--saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add 1 can diced tomatoes with juice, 2 cans of black beans drained and rinsed, 2 tsp. cumin, a tsp. chili powder, a cup and a half chicken broth,some cilantro chopped. Take out a cup, puree it in the blender, and return to the soup. Serve topped with cilantro and feta.
I also served the oatmeal/cranberry/white chocolate cookies I made this morning--oh, my, did those cookies smell good when they came out of the oven! And they were good tonight, even if not still warm and fragrant. My breakfast for tomorrow: two oatmeal cookies.
My dinner guests were my mentor Fred and his wife Patt--we had a lovely visit, talking about craft projects, travels, a little bit of a lot and a little bit of nothing. Fred has been in my life since the late 1960s when he hand-carried me through the TCU English doctoral program. And he still critiques, advises, etc. and makes a great lunch companion.
A thoroughly nice day. Sorry I have no profound insights or thoughts to contribute to the general good.

No comments: