Monday, August 31, 2009

A miscellany

Aargh! I gained 2.5 lbs. last week, not sure how unless it was that decadent lunch of bratwurst, potato salad, kraut, and Black Forest cake--the latter is probably the real culprit. And maybe last night's dinner--chicken loaf isn't many points, but then there's the mayonnaise, and the oil and butter I sauteed the squash in, and the cheese-stuffed mushrooms I served as appetizers. Had friends from Dallas over, Scott and Lisa, a young couple whose company I much enjoy but don't see often enough. Years ago when I was new to Fort Worth, we rented a house from Lisa's aunt, Carolyn Burk, and Carolyn sort of adopted me. For years, she always called me on the birthday of each of my children, and she wrote me notes about how proud she was of what I'd done with my life. And she gave me the chicken loaf recipe. I asked Lisa if she remembered it, but she said she'd never had it. They both went back for seconds, so it must be good. After dinner, we sat on the porch with a final glass of wine--it was an absolutely lovely evening, with just a slight breeze. Today was an equally pleasant day, and I know it's too soon to count summer heat down and out, but this respite sure is nice.
Today I was featured in an online blog about why older women are better writers. I cringe a little about the headline, "Judy Alter--a perfect example of better with age," but here's a very complicated link: http://www.examiner.com/x-19445-AustinWritingExaminer~y2009m8d31-JudyAlter-a-perfect-example-of-better-with-age?cid=examiner-email. If it doesn't work, try googling Sylvia Dickey Smith. Copy is mostly what I wrote, not about Cooking My Way Through Life with Kids and Books, as I'd hoped, but a good picture of the cover, that lovely picture of my whole family on my 70th b'day and that picture of me that is 20 years out of date but the best picture I ever had taken. It also graces my website, www.judyalter.com. I'm grateful to Sylvia for the publicity.
Spent the morning at the office, staff meeting and sundry other chores, then came up and finished up the cookbook. A good feeling, although Katie, the editor, asked me last week, "What are you going to do with retirement once you finish the cookbook?" I'll have to think about that. I have ideas rattling around but nothing concrete. Meanwhile I am committed to writing a chapter in the forthcoming 40-year history of the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. I'm sure other projects will come along.

No comments: