Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What a nice day

Except for the fact that I felt guilty (again!) about not going to church, today was a lovely day. I read the newspaper, piddled, showered, did some laundry, and went to brunch with Betty. As I got into her car at 10:45, I said, "At this hour of the day, we could either go to church or brunch." (Betty recently retired after being the church organist fo 43 years or longer.) She said, "We're going to brunch." And when we got to the very crowded restaurant, she said, "Look, this is how the other half of the world lives on Sunday mornings." So bad--I had eggs, potatoes bacon and toast and loved every bite. She had talked to her husband, who's in San Diego, earlier and said "Guess what Judy and I are going to do?" He said, "I know you two. You're going to eat." We did.
Came home and actually wrote five new pages--yeah for me. Made my goal and beat it and felt good about the new material. Paid some bills, had a nap, and then fixed supper for Jay and Susan. I fixed a roasting hen by stuffing cream cheese seasoned with rosemary under the skin as much as I could--kept the meat really moist. In a separate pan I did rosemary roasted potatoes, but instead of coating them with olive oil I used a vinaigrette (the recipe called for Kraft Zesty vinaigrette but I made my own) and also poured some of the vinaigrette over the chicken. I served the potatoes sprinkled with chopped green onion and crumbled bacon--a really good idea. With a green salad, it made a good supper--had to use ranch dressing because Jay won't eat blue cheese. Tomorrow I'll simmer the chicken carcass and make stock.
Jay had spent six hours cooking a Valentine dinner for Susan yesterday, and he brought leftovers--a salmon spread on homemade crisps and a huge chocolate cake. It was made with buttermilk and cream and Dutch chocolate and was so moist it was almost like pudding. The icing was cream cheese and butter. Too rich for me. I still have half a piece in the fridge.
Jay also brought a pipe wrench (I told him it was a strange thing to ask a dinner guest to bring) and fixed the bathroom sink, where water had been down to a trickle. I couldn't get the little screen thing off because it was on too tight. He's good about doing small things like that for me. Once he came, needle-nosed tweezers in hand, to fix a ceiling spotlight--I had used that long pole to remove the dead bulb, but only the glass part came and the rest remained in the socket. We were eating supper when he arrived, and Jordan said, 'Oh, look, it's the handyman." Anyway its lovely not to have to to the kitchen ever time I want to wash my hands.
And another week begins.

No comments: