Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A much better day

I talked yesterday about doing the things that annoy me. Well, today was a biggie--I took my car to the VW place for a variety of fixes. Their driver drove me to work--the drivers are always polite, quiet young men with whom it's hard to carry on a sustained conversation so we ride in what to me is uncomfortable silence. I got my neighbor, Susan, to take me back tonight to get it. But the result is, at some great cost, I almost have a new car--the front bumper or whatever they call it now no longer hangs down perilously close to the street (I must stop driving up so close to burbs), the tires are all new, the brake fluid is changed, the convertible top is fixed (so they say--this is the second time they've "fixed" it), and it has had its 20,000-mile checkup. So I drove happily home with that behind me. Of course, the car is now out of warranty--but I remember when I bought it they said I didn't really need an extended warranty. Oh, well.
Tonight I made myself some chicken salad--I like the kind with ground chicken--and it was sure was good, with sauteed snap peas on the side. Then I spent a long time making a buffalo meatloaf. Tomorrow night I'll fix a bourbon sauce for it, and some German potato salad to go with it. Jordan and Christian are coming, and maybe Jay and Susan.
Other than that, I'm getting over my blahs but not quite back to writing. I went to a lunch program today where a colleague talked about his recently published thriller, which it took him 13 years to write. I do NOT have that kind of patience. I'm reading a mystery which I find boring, so tonight I told myself I don't have to finish it--I can just erase it from my Kindle. And I ordered a new one. So I think I'll spend the rest of the evening reading.

No comments: