Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Long silence and busy week

I haven't posted for the last few days because, frankly, I've been busy. I've even been so busy my exercise program has fallen apart for a few days. It's one of those weeks when work gets in the way of what I really want to do. I find myself at 9 p.m. reading and critiquing proposals, writing news releases, etc., when I really want to write my mystery. The good part of busy is that Betty came for supper Tuesday (leftover chicken and rosemary roasted potatoes, along with a good salad), Jacob and his parents came last night (poor boy sandwiches), Jacob and his mother and a friend are coming tonight for grilled salmon and salad, and Jacob is spending the night tomorrow night. He's so used to staying here that last night he asked his mom, "What time Mommy go home?" She explained she was staying and when she went home he would go with her. He was sort of grumpy and tired last night, but when I asked for a hug as he left, he gave me one and then raised his little face and said "Want a kiss." Be still, my heart.
My really big news is that Lewis Bundock, the contractor who keeps improving my house for me, has installed plantation blinds throughout the house (except the playroom where there are way too many windows) and half-plantation shutters (they only go halfway up the windows) across the front of the house--living room and my office. It looks so awesome that yesterday when I came in I just stood and admired them, until I almost let the alarm go off. The new window treatments update the house a great deal--after all, I've lived her 15-16 years, and it was time. And I was tired of either washing the curtains or ignoring the fact that they were dirty. Also, the house, which has good natural light, is so much more open now, and yet I can close the blinds in my bedroom pretty tightly against the morning sun. I don't know why I always buy houses with the bedrooms on the east but I do.
Today Melinda and I toured the garden where TCU Press will hold its 2nd annual "Books & Music in the Garden" event--and it was lovely. Lots of nooks, crannies, hidden corners, a huge swimming pool, a guest house with bathrooms for those who need them and a kitchen out of which we can work, lots of seating. It was beautiful even today in late February, so I can just imagine what it will look like in mid-April. And the owner who is graciously hosting the party was charming and accommodating--she kept acting like we were doing her a favor, when we were overwhelmed at our good fortune at her willingness to let us use the garden. The house, sort of a Tudor style, was built in 1929 by the present owner's grandfather. It's of clinker brick, which she explained was used a lot during the Depression--it's imperfect brick and there were tons and tons of it available because it was regarded as inferior. This was one of the first houses in Fort Worth built of clinker brick. She also explained the various gardens, showed us the old chicken house (city laws about keeping animals were once very different), and it was a fascinating tour. The only flaw was that my situational anxiety (I've decided that's a good term for it) came flying to the foreground, and I found myself clinging to Melinda, although she dismissed it saying it was really uneven ground and paths, etc. But I hate it when I have those spells and feel so uncertain. Yet by the time I met a friend for lunch I was perfectly fine.
Meantime, I'm working. I really am. I managed to write about three pages last night and hope to do that again tonight. Tomorrow's our Amazing Book Sale--we sell damaged books for $1 and $2, and everything on our shelves is 20% off.

No comments: