Friday, February 27, 2009

More on food and cooking

Today, a friend in the TCU Library asked me if I'd quit blogging. She said she looked and the last entry was dated February 11. I assured her I had posted last night, so I checked it out and last night's entry was indeed dated February 11. I've posted lots since then, though I've surely missed a few days. I'll be curious to see what today's post says. But for those of you who were puzzled, February 11 was actually February 26 when I described the buffalo meatloaf dinner party. I have to say the meatloaf and the bourbon sauce had gotten immensely better by tonight. There's something to that old saw about letting dishes sit overnight.
Melinda in my office said to me today, "You have a lot of people to your house for meals. Do they ever reciprocate?" And I said yes, some do, some take me out to dinner, etc. She asked, "Do you like to go to their houses as much as have them at your house," and I said no. I enjoy it but my preference is to cook. My good friend Jean recognized that a long time ago and though I thoroughly enjoy meals at their house, she knows I'd rather do the cooking. And I sometimes trade a meal for financial advice with my friend Jeannie and her husband, Jim, who is my unofficial financial advisor. Other friends take me to restaurants---those who aren't as in to cooking as I am--and I always enjoy an evening out, especially if I try new foods.
What looked like a long and looming weekend since our visit to the Frisco Alters was cancelled has turned into a cooking weekend. Jordan wastes no time in filling her calendar and so had friends invited over for Saturday evening. When she suggested I come eat, I said I might do that and spend the night, and her reply was "Good. Addie and Julie are spending the night." I'm not quite up for a slumber party--I had visions of having the guest room to myself. So I'll fix a hearty appetizer, go out there about five and be home before dark. And it turns out I have a lot of cooking to do--appetizers for Jordan (I think I'll make a recipe of artihoke bread, take half, and save half for my Sunday dinner guests plus I'll take Jordan a yummy southwestern tuna dip). Meantime I heard from an old and dear friend who will be in town Sunday and wondered if we could have lunch. I suggested I cook brunch, and she's coming about 10:30--perfect. And then I 'll start a pot of spaghetti sauce (a recipe you cook in the slow cooker for four hours) for my dinner guests. And of course I'll get my requisite nap in. Somehow my weekends always become more interesting than I expect them to be--which means I do less writing.
Texas weather has us all befuddled--when I got into my car to go home yesterday the temp thing said 95. But it's was much cooler by noon today, and we expect a freeze tomorrow night. I'll have to turn off sprinklers and climb under the railing to turn off the front porch hose.

No comments: