Wednesday, February 04, 2009

An interesting day

I should have known it would be a funny day. I got up a little after 6:30, as usual, fed the animals, and got ready for the day--teeth brushed, hair washed and combed, make-up on, by which time it was seven and time for the TODAY show to come on. Only it didn't--what came on was the 6 a.m. news. I'd glanced at the clock, seen the 35, and not looked closely at the hour, so I'd gotten up at 5:35. In disgust, I went back to bed for an hour. Didn't sleep but did some good puzzling out of things on my mind.
Then I got almost to the office and couldn't remember closing the automatic gate on the yard, so I doubled back and was late getting to work and astounded to find both my coworkers already there--I usually beat them.
Our tour of the black community in Fort Worth this morning was fascinating. We went first to the Intermodal Transportation Center, which has outdoor wall sculptures portraying the black community because the center is located at 9th and Jones, which was once the first black business district. The sculpture are wonderful, but we figured we couldn't have the party outside, with all the train traffic, and the upstairs meeting room was large and comfortable but a bit bare. Bob Ray next drove us by I. M. Terrell, the high school he attended and a landmark, but he said he didn't think they'd let us serve wine there. I could never find it again, have no idea how he got us there, but I was interested in the landscape around it--just off the freeway, it's hilly, with rock cliffs and lots of brush. Our last stop was the Ella Mae Shamblee Branch Library which has been open maybe seven months, built from the shell of an old school building. A fascinating place with a huge plaza, with historical placques fixed in the sidewalk portraying people who had been hisorically important in the community. Pillars around the plaza commemorate various themes in the history of the community, and at least one I saw was in English and Swahili. The library's meeting room, a new addition, is built to look sort of like an old schoolroom with wainscoting, etc., and lots of windows. The perfect place for a signing. We were delighted with it.
As we drove around, Bob Ray showed us where various well known people had lived, and I saw historical churches I'd read about but never seen. It was like I was in a part of Fort Worth I'd never seen, and I was a bit embarrassed about that. And it turned out we were so close to an intersection I've crossed a thousand times.
My walking went to pot on that tour though--I don't know if it was strange places or what, but I ended up holding on to either Susan or Bob Ray almost the whole time and felt totally like I couldn't take two steps alone. Worse than I've been in a long time. I guess I have to realize it comes and goes, and when the shakiness is there, I need to ask for help and not worry about it.
The rest of the day was uneventful--I came home and worked, fixed myself creamed tuna for dinner with cheese in the sauce and lots of green peas and thought how Christian would pick them out.
Now I'm going back to re-reading my mystery. I read through the filed "Revised text" but then read some of the individual last chapters and found I'd left some stuff out of the revised text that was really good. So now I have to incorporate.
What if nobody publishes my myseries? It's a thought I don't let myself linger on.

No comments: