Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Distractions

I meant to be writing tonight but I've gotten distracted by America's Funniest Home Videos or Most Outrageous or whatever they're called--they are absolutely addictive once you start watching. Elizabeth came for dinner tonight, and I fixed salmon burgers--so good--and we had a really good visit. I did the dishes, not many, while she was still here, and so when she left I meant to sit right down at the computer, but I happened to turn on the TV and I was hooked. I did write some earlier this afternoon and am pleased that I'm moving ahead.
The second mystery may be finished soon--I sometimes feel I'm racing toward the end and may get there before I get to the required length, but that's a problem I've faced before, and it usually works itself out. But then I will need a new project. I'm not willing to write a third mystery until there's some interest in the first two. And I'd like to do more food writing. Elizabeth was a talented writer in college--one year she walked away with most of the undergraduate awards--and we talked tonight about what each of us would write--she needing to get back to it and me needing to move on.
It's the time of year when you think about what needs to be done--but it's still too cold. We had a light frost last night, so I had turned off the sprinkler system and the front porch hose. But it's time to cut back the herbs on the front porch, clean out the bird feeder and refill it. And having taken Scooby on two trips to the vet, I need to clean the back seat of the car. I had the car washed yesterday, but they didn't do that. So I need a warm sunny day--predicted for later this week--to put the top down and scrub the seats. And then I have to carve out time to take the car for it's 20,000 mile checkup, although it's not quite there. Always something.
Meantime, the evening's writing is a loss. I'm not going to write great prose at 9:45 while watching these funny videos.

No comments: