Sunday, February 01, 2009

An AT&T surprise and a lazy, comfortable Super Bowel day

I've had four visits from AT&T installaton people in the process of getting U-Verse throughout my house. Two have lasted all day, and the last of those resulted in a really messy job, with a cord hanging out in space and preventing my opening a kitchen drawer very far. The other two were quick--one gentleman told me my problems had nothing to do with U-Verse but with cables outside, and AT&T was quick to send people to fix that. The other gentleman came late and unexpectedly on a Friday night--I was glad my neighbor was here to answer the door--and fixed the two phones that didn't work after the first installation person. You can see, I have a spotty record. But this week, the bedroom TV didn't work, the cable to the kitchen TV looked ugly and was in the way, and I had two pieces of AT&T equipment. I stalled about scheduling appointment but finally called and they said they'd come between 4 and 9 p.m. Saturday--fine with me. Then they cancelled, but said they'd come between 8 and noon Sunday. I said okay, but dreaded it--they wouldn't arrive until ten, and my morning would be shot--couldn't shower, couldn't do my yoga, etc.
To my surprise the phone rang at 7:50 (when I had a towel over my wet hair) and I was so surprised I was a bit short with the gentleman--thought they were calling to cancel. But he arrived at 8 sharp (my hair was still damp), fixed the bedroom TV which had come unplugged when the new blinds were installed, fixed the kitchen TV in a much more acceptable way, picked up the AT&T equipement--a wonderful sturdy staple gun that Colin would have coveted and a battery charger of some kind--and was gone by 8:45. A nice, cheerful, friendly man, as they all have been--but not all have been as efficient as he was.
Super Bowl Day is never a joy to me. I am, I confess, totally unpatriotic about football, and all I can think of is that the day-long pre-programming on NBC interrupts shows I like to watch. This afternoon I kept NBC on mute, hoping to catch Matt Lauer's interview with President Obama. Finally took a nap, and when I woke up and went to put makeup on, the interview came on--talk about good timing. As always, I found Obama charming and most fun when he talks about his family, though I have much appreciated the swiftness with which he took action once in office. I wish I understood enough about economics to have some sense of the worth or not of the stimulus package, but I was impressed by Steve Forbes who said on a talk show this morning that spending money wouldn't help--tax cuts, such as payroll taxes, etc., would.
Charles came for dinner. I fixed scallops with stir-fried vegetables--grape tomatoes, sugar snap pea, and asparagus. It's a dinner I often fix for myself, but I know Charles loves mussels, scallops, and all similar things. I think he really enjoyed the meal. He's off to Alburquerque this week to be with his oldest daughter when she has an angiogram, after which physicians will decide between a stint and bypass surgery. My prayers go with him.
I'm back to re-reading my second mystery--while watching a PBS program of the Celtic Women singers. If you haven't seen it, you've missed a real treat.

No comments: