Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Relaxing with the holidays

In thinking about going to Houston, I was prepared to devote time to getting back to my mystery, but it hasn't happened--and I can see the holidays sliding by without it happening. My fellow members in Sisters in Crime would accuse me of not being dedicated enough, but . . . . Yesterday Lisa and I did what must have been at least two hours at SuperTarget, going from one end of the store to the other. I didn't have on good shoes for all that walking, even with arch supports, and today my right foot is paying the penalty. We also ran a couple of other errands, and in the afternoon went to Colin's office party--which was for children and adults both. In the evening, we looked at really elaborate hristmas lights.
This morning Lisa has gone to get a haircut. I slept until almost 8:30 and "putzed" around, reading email, eating breakfast, etc., and finally got my bed made and got dressed. It's not too cold but rainy, and I don't care if I stay indoors all day. I have good books to read. Tonight Colin says we're going to look at more lights.
Two interesting things tell me I'm really relaxed. My balance and self-confidence are so much better. I don't have to be sure I'm right next to somebody, and I negotiate parking lots and curbs better than usual--still need a hand on some curbs, but . . . .
Know that dream we all have about being enrolled in classes and when it's time for finals we discover we have been attending? I may have put it to rest last night, because in my dream I went to the faculty--it was my former professor and now colleague, Bob Frye, and said, "Look, we all know this is silly. I don't need an undergraduate degree. I have a Ph.D. and I'm seventy years old. I was just doing it because I liked the people I was running around with. I don't need paleontology 101 or first year French." They agreed, though one person suggeseted it was frivolous of me. I thought if I didn't have classes I could sleep late every morning (see how I'm enjoying not having to get up?) but then I realized I'd have to go back to my office, which I'd neglected all semester. When I went back, new people had taken over--a fund-raiser had appropriated my office and my personnel had all changed. I didn't know if there was room for me or not (oops! insecurities arising from another quarter!). It was all very interesting--but I'm curious now if the finals dream will return.
Morgan and Kegan are at daycare, and the house is quiet. I'm going to read before we get caught up in a round of cooking and errands.

No comments: