Thursday, December 18, 2008

More 'tis the season

Well, I have had two days filled with Christmas and enjoyed them thoroughly. Yesterday I had lunch with my good friend Jean, and we exchanged gifts--of course, we knew we had each gotten the other the same thing--a ceritifcate for flowers of the month at a local florist. And we had a laughingly happy lunch. Then Mary Lu came by--I had given her the same certificate, but she brought me the most elaborate measuring spoons. Embossed with Laugh, Love, Live on the back and a rooster in the bowl of each spoon. I don't know how she finds such unusual gifts, but she always does.
I fixed supper for Jeannie and Betty last night, and we exchanged gifts. We've gotten into the habit of two of us buying a gift for the third--my gift was two more Reidel O glasses (they had given me four for my birthday) plus Terry Thompson-Anderson's new book, The Texas Hill Country: A Food and Wine Lover's Paradise, which I had made plain I wanted. Now I think the three of us need to explore the Hill Country.
Today we had a TCU Press "staff luncheon." Jim Lee had a gift certificate to Cafe Aspen which was, he declared, burning a hole in his brief case, so he treated us. It's what I have always considered my family restaurant--Jamie worked there forever, and Jordan and Colin both briefly. Wonderful lunch, another gift exchange, and lots of laughter.
In the afternoon, my brother and Cindy came by--a truly rare event, because they never tell me when they're in town, and I know John doesn't like to linger. But we traded Christmas presents--he did NOT want to open them until Christmas--and sat and talked for over a half hour. I considered it a loving, brotherly gesture on his part and was delighted to see them.
Then this evening Sue came over to talk about keeping the house and animals, and Jay wandered in to drink a beer--he says if you leave cheap beer in my refrigerator, you can be sure no one else will drink it. So we had another good visit. Tonight I am filled with the happy sense of how many friends I have and how many people to share the holidays spirit with. It's a very good feeling.
Tomorrow is my last day at work for two weeks. I am truly looking forward to being away, though I have a major report to write by February 1. I think tomorrow morning I'll collect info for it, bring it all home, and work on it late in my vacation--but not in Houston.
I am going to spend the holidays with Colin and his family. Since it is supposed to be 20 Sunday night, I am delighted that I have found people to stay in the house and bring Scooby in at night. I'm looking forward to time with three-year-old Morgan and Kegan, 1-1/2 years--and their parents.

No comments: