Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Cold Evening--and Jacob

Today was North Texas in winter--in the 20s when I went to work, thinking only of how quickly I could come home and hibernate. When I left the office at noon, it was 29. Maybe hit 32 for a high. Tomorrow is supposed to be better, and by Saturday and Sunday we'll be at 70. Then back to the upper 30s Sunday when I'm going to Houston and in a dither whether to take winter or fall clothes. Houston is a lot south, but I've been there at Christmas when it snowed.
Jacob brought warmth to the house tonight. His parents had a party to attend, and he and I spent the evening together in great good spirits. He ate his pbj and applesauce and watched a DVD for a while but then he wanted to wander all over the house, which meant I wandered with him. He went with me to the bathroom, and applauded "Yeah, Juju" when I used the potty--obviously we're into toilet training here. And once when I tried to lure him back to the playroom I promised to show him the lights on "B's" house (B being his name for Jay, my handsome neighbor). He saw the lights, and then he saw Jay in his kitchen and kept rapping on the window. Needless to say, Jay didn't hear and didn't respond. By 8:30, he was back on the daybed, watching his DVD. But he came to life again when his folks arrived about 9:30. Christian, carrying Jacob and a huge bag of Jacob's clothes, Jordan's clothes, and who knows what else, got stuck between a chair and the couch, and I couldn't figure out why he couldn't move. All three adults got the uncontrollable giggles--okay, you had to be there to see it.
So now I'm settled at my desk and reading the first Rhys Bowen novel I've ever read--her characters are delightful, and I'm liking it a lot. I feel the winding down for the holidays--have cleared my office desk of major projects (except a complicated report that has to be written, maybe over Christmas break) and have nothing pressing on my personal desk. It's both a good and an uneasy feeling.

No comments: