Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Number Two




The Alters and Griesbachs ate Christmas dinner in their pajamas. When I think back to my childhood and the formal dinners--Dad in a starched white shirt, ceremonioiusly carving the turkey at the table, I know he is twirling in his grave. But we were all cooking and working in the kitchen and saw no reason to change into "good" clothes. So we happily ate in our pjs--and won't get out of them all day. Dinner was delicious. Instead of brining the turkey, we salted it last night with a lot of kosher salt, a variety of herbs, and some grated lemon peel. The gravy, made with shallots and white wine plus turkey drippings and canned broth, was delicious--and plentiful. I hate running out of gravy! Everything else was great, and we--being the grandparents--and cleaned the kitchen fairly quickly. Then everyone watched mesmerized as Lisa tried out the new WiiFit exerciser. Getting yourself established in it is a complicated program, but she did it and found her weight and body mass index were right on target. Offered a chance to try, I declined. I'll stick to my yoga. The directions to this suggest doing yoga on it. Now why would I want to do yoga on a balance board when I sometimes have enough trouble keeping my balance on a mat on the floor?
Now Lisa's parents, John and Torhild, have headed for Sugar Land--far south Houston--and the kids are playing. I thought both Colin and Kegan were down and out for the count (see picture above) but they both have revived.
I hope everyone had as blessed and happy a Christmas as we did. There's nothing like family.

No comments: