Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day







I kind of quit my Christmas Eve post in the middle and never got back to it, but Brandon told me this morning they were reading my blog to keep up with us, so this is for family and friends who want to know about Christmas in the Kingwood Alter household. I hope the others will reciprocate with pictures and emails.
This morning the children slept till almost 7:30--unprecedented in a household where they get up at five. When I wandered down about 7:15, thinking I had missed it all, Colin and Lisa were pacing the floor in anticipation--and disappointed that it was just me.
We had a traditional Alter Christmas--gifts from Santa and stockings opened, then a big breakfast, and only then opening gifts. Others who have married into the clan rebel at this tradition--B., I can hear you gritting your teeth. We had a chili releno casserole, a rich and very fattening but oh so good potato casserole, and bacon, orange juice and much coffee. Then came gifts, the highlight of which was a box of excelsior Colin gave to Morgan with a coupon saying her mother would clean it up. Morgan threw excelsior into the air by the handsful (Mel, I hope you read this spelling) and an excelsior fight ensued. We did all pitch in to clean it up. We opened gifts until the kids' eyes glazed over and then put a stack of children's presents aside to be opened later. Now we're getting ready to fix a traditional dinner--turkey, ham, green bean casserole, corn, stuffing, etc.
Morgan, just four months into being a three-year-old, is at the perfect age for Christmas, all agog about all of it. Last night she tried to rush me to bed, explaining she had heard Santa's sleigh nearby and he wouldn't come if I was sitting in the living room reading. I promised to hurry on to bed. This morning she was excited by everything, her eyes glowing--her daddy sent her on a treasure hunt to find the pink scooter she had wanted so badly, and she was even allowed to eat candy before breakfast. A great day.
Maybe more later--check back.

No comments: