Saturday, December 13, 2008

A pleasant day

What I thought would be a long empty day--because of my cancelled trip--turned out to be very pleasant. I slept late--8:30!--and was just settling down with the paper when Carol Roark called. She had voluntarily run a signing party at the Dallas Public Library (she is curator of the Texas Collection) for Fran Vick's Literary Dallas. Carol rounded up contributors and cajoled someone at the library into contributing sandwiches (it was lunchtime)--Buy a book, get a sandwich. They sold 35 books, which is really good. Now Carol wanted to bring back leftover books and settle up checks, charge slips, and money. And did I want to go to lunch? So I went to the grocery, came home and did some chores, and Carol picked me up. We got several other small pieces of business accomplished at my office and had a cheering lunch at Carshon's Deli (I have got to stop eating chopped liver--so good and so bad for you!). I've spent most of the rest of the day proofreading and making good progress. Of course, there was a long nap and leftover spaghetti from the place down the street for dinner. Chadra is a Lebanese/Italian restaurant (odd combination to me) but I love their meat sauce--good, old-fashioned, full of tomatoes, and not too spicy.
Proofreading is hard for me. Melinda says it's because I'm creative and not mechanical (right brain or left? I never can remember), but I'm trying hard. These proofs are of a novel by a good friend, and he was not happy with some of the edits, so I'm trying to get it just right for him. He's a seasoned writer with his own very deliberate style and having worked with him on several projects, I understand that style and what he's doing. But that doesn't mean I can't miss typos, etc., while I'm protecting his style. Fortunately it's been read in final mss. by a professional proof reader and will be read again just before it goes to the printer. Meantime I'm enjoying doing it.
It's a Wonderful Life is on TV and I'm keeping it on, muted, just so I can look up every once in a while and see Jimmy Stewart. I don't really need sound at this point--I pretty much know where the story is going.

No comments: