Monday, November 17, 2008

Not my day

I spent three hours in the dentist's chair this morning, at least an hour of it with the drill. Definitely not my favorite experience. I think yoga helped--I really made a point of relaxing every muscle in my body, breathing deep, and not moving since I figured out before--well, really the dentist told me in a bit of exasperation--that when I moved, it slowed him down--I wanted out of there! At one point when there was a lull in attention--I think I had to sit for eight minutes with my teeth tightly closed--I got up to get a book and noticed that my legs were a bit shaky. When I finally was dismissed, it took me a moment to get my legs going. The dental tech asked if I was alright, and I assured her it was just the aches of old age. But when I got outside, I knew my balance wasn't good and decided to negotiate the grass rather than the handicapped ramp--and fell ingloriously on my back. Not hurt at all, but I couldn't figure out how to get up. The car fender was close to me but didm't give me the right leverage--finally, abandoning all pride, I crawled to the door handle and pulled myself up, just as one of the receptionists came out crying, "Are you all right?" I assured her I was fine once I was up again, and by then I was in the parking lot next to the car. She fussed over me, handed me my purse and stick--which had been no help--and I was on my way. But I was shaken. I'd been getting my self-confidence back about my balance, and that sort of went away. I think I truly should have asked for someone to walk me out--three hours angled back in the dentist's chair would discommode anyone, and it was aggravated by my balance problems. Elizabeth, my yoga instructor, and I are now seriously working on finding ways for me to get up should I fall again.
I went to the office, picked up a bunch of work to take home, and decided I would indulge in the confort of a grilled cheese sandwhich--which I burned. And the phone repairman was to come betwee 1 and 5 to fix two dead jacks--the result, I fear, of the installation of U-Verse. I got home at 12:30 to find a note that he had arrived at 12:15 and was sorry to miss me. Who ever heard of a serviceman coming early?
The repairman did come back about 3:00 p.m. but it wasn't the kind of problem he works on, so another one is scheduled for Sunday morning. AT&T guys are apparently pretty specific in their skills. And Sunday morning? I'll read the paper.
Jean Walbridge called tonight, and after I related the woes of the day, she said "I hope your day ends better than it has been." It has. I had good cold salmon and sauteed green beans for dinner and am settled at my computer working on the cookbook, repetitively clicking "Accept deletion," "Accept insertion." Every once in a while I take a break and read a novel.

No comments: