Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Accomplishments

Do you know how you feel when you've done things you'd really rather not do? Well, that's how I feel tonight--sort of proud. I went to the vet's to get two bags of dog food, one bag of dry cat food, and one case of wet cat food. Well, for one thing, that means four trips to the car, since I can't manage more than one and my balance both. I made two trips, and one of the attendants followe me with the other two items. Ir's silly, but it's like putting gas in the car--one of those things I'd rather not do.
But the biggie was my trip to the eye doctor. I' d scoped out the parking lot beforehand to see if I was comfortale with it, decided I was, but I am always apprehensive about an opthamology exam--I feel like a school kid who is being tested and quite not performing perfectly. "F, X , L, P, O." There was one number on a fairly small line that I couldn't get, and the technologist really wanted me to get--I said 3, z, and she said no, it was a number. Turned out it was a two, but I couldn't do it. Final verdict: my eyes are fine but I need a precuationary vision field test and I have to have laser to eradicate the cloudiness in the implant in my left eye. I was amazed at how poorly I could read from a distance with that eye. And the parking lot was no problem, so I feltl good about it--but after yesterday's lost day and today's almost lost day, I'm worn out. Went with Betty tonight for sushi and enjoyed it so much that I thought "Why haven't we done this more often?" I'm the one who had been resisting our favorite sushi place, but no more.
Had lunch with three friends who had contributed to Grace & Gumption--we talked about the forthcoming cookbook, but we also talked a lot about the recent election, and we also laughed a lot. Really nice.
I've decided I probably won't be serious about writing again until after the holidays. It's just the way life is, and I want to enjoy the other things in my life--friends, grandchidlren, etc.
We are all excited about Thanksgiving at my brother's ranch--he plans a hay ride for the children in the late morning, followed by happy hour and dinner. There will be 21 adults and, by my count, ten children, ranging from about six months to nine years. What fun!

No comments: