Sunday, November 02, 2008

Book festival and family visits


Here I am in Austin, for the Texas Book Festival and to visit Megan and Brandon, Sawyer and Ford. Melinda and I,with her friend K.K., arrived at the house in the middle of trick-or-treat time, so while M&B took the boys, we sat in the front yard and gave out treats. Lots of fun, some wonderful costumes, and mostly very polite, pleasant children. When things quieted down, Megan said, "I'm starving. When I asked what was for supper, she said,"I don't have a clue." We cobbled together a rotini and meat sauce dish with salad and it was delicious. Last night she brined and Brandon grilled pork chops and she made polenta with cheese, while I did a salad. Another delicious meal, and the polenta was great for breakfast, although both boys declined it.
I have forgotten how hectic a household is with a 4-yr-old and a 2-yr old, but these are active boys and something is going on all the time, most of it noisy and happy. They were witches for Halloween and are still wearing their costumes around two days later. Fortuitously "The Wizard of Oz"was on TV this moning. Sawyer is the more serious of the two and ask such questions as how to spell bomb hole, followed by "What isa bomb hole?" He is very interested in explosions. In fact, he's very interested in how everything works. Ford is more mischieivous, with a twinkle in his eye that makes you think he is planning mischief.
The book festival was fun though tiring and hot. Still I saw lots of people I was glad to see and our books seemed to sell well and looked great in our display. I'm hoping Melinda took a picture. We had two books featured and went to the sessions on both to cheer. Met authors, designers, and others I was glad to make the connection with, so it was a day well spent.

No comments: