Monday, November 10, 2008

A day in limbo

Today was a most frustrating day. I admit I like my routine, and I don't like change. Got all of that today--and no nap. I had earlier scheduled AT&T installation of wiring for HDTV. The man was to arrive between 8 and 10, called at 12:30 to say he'd be there in half an hour, and by then I'd cancelled it for the day. Good thing, because this morning the installer--who turned out to be such a nice man--arrived at nine, left at six, and still has one TV to go. In all that time, he wired four TVs but had to do a lot of work at the phone box (all morning). And doing that, he took out my internet for a long time, leaving me powerless to answer office emails, etc. except on my phone--which is awkward and slow for me. Then he took out the TV in my office. Things were getting worse. He wired the office, the bedroom, the playroom, and the guest house, fixed my TV with a wireless card, and put a DVR in the playroom, so I'm really uptown. But the kitchen is left to do (after I had cleared a thousand coffee cups from one shelf). It may be a while before I'm willing to call AR&R back, and definitely not this week.
I did make good use of my down time--cooking. I made a cheeseball and a Bundt cake, which I froze for my annual Christmas party. And I made Aunt Reva's chocolate chip squares--you make a batter that is like chocolate chip cookies, without the chips, bake it, then spread chocolate chips over the top, bake for another five minutes and then spread the chocolate and sprinkle with chopped nuts. All well and good, and I've made it many times, but today it seemed too soft to cut, so I put it in the refrigerator. Took it out about 6:30, and it was like concrete. so now I'm hoping room temperature will do the trick.
When the TV in the office began to work I turned it on and saw nothing but weather reports--there was heavy weather, with some threat of tornado, to the west. As the AT&T guy left (after saying, "I enjoyed your company, Judy" which I thought was really nice) I noticed it had begun to sprinkle. Then it thundered and I thought it time to bring Scooby in. Good thing, because the heavens have just let loose--thunder, lightning and really heavy rain. We need it but I'm afraid this is so heavy it will just run off.
A good note about the day I decided ahead would be just a waste--I saw the Obamas arrive live at the White House, and it really was a moment in history when TV showed the two couples standing together at the East Portico and then Bush and Obama walking toward the Oval Office, while the ladies went on a tour of the living quarters (okay, gender stereotyping is live and well). Yesterdy, a friend sent me an email with reprdocutions of headlines around the world the morning after the elections--they were full of enthusiasm, optimism, "new America" and "Viva Obama," etc. Such an outpouring of happiness and gratitude. But the saddest said "Enter Obama, Exit Bush" and showed a jubilant Obama on the left-hand side and a dejected Bush, shoulders down, head bowed, exiting right. I truly believe Bush brought his unpopularity--and his abysmal record-- on himself and yet I am still sad for him. He looks on TV like he's aged rapidly in the last months, and my dinner guests last night surmised that he does not look well. But who would in his place? I pray that the Bushes can find peace in their retirement. But of course just when I start feeling compassionate about him, he threatens all that deregulation of air quality, older power plants, drilling in Utah, you name it. Obama seems to have been carefully planning even while campaigning, and I am relieved to hear he will almost immediately reverse some presidential directives, including freeing up stem cell research and some environmental protections.
The day has been a waste, and I'm not going to try to retrieve it at this point. Tomorrow does not promise to be much better--annual check-up with the eye doctor.
Oh, a final note. Occasionally someone unexpected tells me they are reading my blog and enjoying it. Today a physician who formerly took very good care of me but then closed his practice emailed and mentioned that he reads the blog. I am flattered, so here's a thank you to Steve Weis.

No comments: