Saturday, January 09, 2010

Schmoozing and working

I was included in a delightful supper party tonight, at the home of acquaintances who have a fantastic collection of American artifacts--everything from Texas art to items from South and Latin America to an arrowhead collection which the host re-assembled himself (and labeled) after it arrived in pieces. Their home is full of interesting pieces, but they also own a small museum in Weatherford (about 30 miles from Fort Worth). The Museum of the Americas presents, for instance, an annual Dia de los Muertos exhibition that is beyond compare. And has great opening parties.
I was pleased to be included on the guest list tonight, knowing there would be people I knew and some I didn't. But even in casual conversation with people I'd just met, we discovered degrees of connection--there are not even two degrees of separation in Fort Worth. One woman livesin a house my brother once lived in and seemed to know that about me. I was surprised to see a few people I knew that I didn't know had any connection to the Lawrences. Pleasant crowd in which it was easy to drift from conversation to conversation.
But I also did sosme business--for myself and for TCU Press. Talked to a hoticulturist who wants to write a small book on places to see native plants, an author whose manuscript is late and giving her difficulty, an editor I'd like to free lance for. And maybe found a location for this year's Books and Music in the Garden. All the talk was not only helpful for business, it was interesting. And the horticulturist who knows Greg, who now takes care of my yard. A really nice evening. Social networking at its best--and not on the computer.
Today was still cold, but I put Scooby in his bed and ran a couple of errands. I'm still on my kick of getting things done, loose ends tied up. So I went to a Sprint store, deleted my old e-mail, but have to wait for the TCU help desk to install the new password and server. Then I went to the jewelry store and had a new clasp put on the lovely bracelet Maddie chose for me for Christmas. Wore it proudly tonight, along with the bracelet she made earlier, and got raves.
Came home, proofread the index I'd done last night, and started on the list of cookbooks cited. Also called TIAA-CREF and straightened out confusion (in my mind,not their records) about my annuity and my IRAs. And made the gentleest tiny start toward organizing my tax info. I feel like I'm sailing into the New Year. Still need to finish the cookbook list, but I allowed myself to start reading a new novel.

No comments: