Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A food day

Other than go to the doctor and a brief stint at the office, what I did today that was of interest was to eat. We had an office lunch at Ellerbe's, an upscale but fine restaurant in Fort Worth. We were celebrating Susan's birthday, and she had panna cotta has a dessert. I had a salad of warm roasted winter vegetables (after checking that there were no roasted peppers in it)--a bit of potato, green beans, squash, carrots, and something that might have been eggplant, all on top of a Caesar salad--so good. Went from high to low tonight. Betty really wanted to go to the Love Shack, a north side restaurant owned by chef Tim Love with a newly opened branch in central Fort Worth. First of all we got lost in all the constructions south of 7th street, particularly a huge retirement community in which streets seemed to wind forever without any exit. Finally found the restaurant but to me it was a disappointment--bare bones service at a walk-up window. Mainly it's a patio restaurant but we thought it was too cool--there were quite a few tables filled outside, and Betty said she saw some old folks like us (but there was live loud music). I thought it was a place for young singles. We stayed inside--just a few tables, disposable everything, stacks of beer cartons as decor. The hamburger was okay but overdone to my taste and they don't cook it any other way. I told Betty she couldn't choose next week.
So now I'm home, ready to watch the State of the Union speech, with my thoughts racing on my new mystery. I didn't seem to get anything done on it today, except in my head, which always makes me worry I'll forget what I had thought.
Tomorrow has a hundred per cent chance of rain. Wish I could stay home all day but I have a nine o'clock staff meeting. Then its home for the day to work on the novel and hibernate.

No comments: