Thursday, January 28, 2010

Rain, rain, rain

The prediction for today was one hundred percent chance of rain, and we have really had a steady rain, with thunder--I need to go let Scooby in because thunder and lightning terrify him. It's the kind of day you want to hibernate with a good book, and I've done a bit of that. Reading Leann Sweeney's Pick Your Poison and enjoying it, though I'm about to settle down to work on my own new mystery. Do you suppose rain makes you creative? Or just makes you want to crawl in bed? We'll see. I also went to a looooong staff meeting this morning and have spent half a day on TCU Press business. ready to take a vacation.
I'm not good at analyzing political speeches but it seemed to me that President Obama made good sense last night, especially when he suggested that Republicans be constructive instead of simply trying to block everything the Democrats proposed. I saw a Facebook post the other day that asked, "Since when does the losing party get to block everything the winning party does?" I do think it's time to rewrite the filibuster protocol or whatever. I was pleased to see today that the State of the Union speech got positive ratings with the general public. But it was puzzling to hear commentators say Republicans sat on their hands while Democrats cheered--I thought I saw people on the right standing almost as often as those on the left. I think that whole business of applause ought to be outlawed--the poor president gets to say one sentence, then has to wait while everyone rises to their feet and cheers. For heaven's sake, just let him talk! I don't understand either why everyone is so dissatisfied with the administration--they inherited a load of troubles and have made some good progress forward. For heaven's sake, folks, you can't fix everything at once. I suppose if I was 40 and out of a job I'd be displeased too, but the recession does seem to be easing and the prediction is that people will be going back to work in large numbers. Come on, let's give them a chance! (ooh, I rarely veer off into politics but that's just what came to mind).
Now what comes to mind is I hope it's not icy in the morning. Stay warm and safe, everyone.

No comments: