Monday, January 25, 2010

Good intentions and Bon Appetit

Well, I fully intended to write another four pages this afternoon or tonight, but two hours in the office this morning left me with more work to be done this afternoon and evening, plus I had to tie up some loose ends of my own business. And Christian and Jacob came for leftover sloppy Joe because Mommy is, as Christian says, "working on the beach at Playa del Carmen." She's on a fam trip--a trip to familiarize agents with the various hotels, etc, that they can recommend to clients. It's actually a lot of work, but it also has its benefits--I imagine she was sipping margaritas and eating fresh seafood tonight, while we ate leftover sloppy Joe and canned green beans. One of my less imaginative meals, except that my sloppy Joe is really good.
All evening I'd think I was going to get my desk cleared and go back to the novel, but it was 9:30 before I did that, and my creative juices have run low. I'm having a hard time naming the town where I want to set the mystery--I have a town in mind as a model, but I'm going to make it a little bigger, offering a few more comforts, so I don't want to use the name. Actually there's a cafe there that is also a model for the cafe in my story. Ooops, just gave that away, didn't I? Anyway, the town is not Ben Wheeler, which I've visited often, but a town near there, so I decided to just call it Wheeler. Then I talked to my friend Charles, who for years had a ranch at Ben Wheeler, and he tells me there is already a Wheeler, Texas. The trouble with Texas is that the state has already used all the good names--so many towns, so many names. Back to the drawing board, just when I was getting comfortable with Wheeler.
The real reason I'm not writing at 9:30, beside that I'm sleepy, is that a new copy of Bon Appetit arrived today and it is beckoning me with a cover blurb that promises the ultimate shepherd's pie. If there's anything I love that's it. But I am doing really well on Weight Watchers points this week-maybe if I keep it up, I can have a splurge. Meantime I'm going to read tht recipe and think about who I'd like to share it with.

No comments: