Friday, January 08, 2010

Maybe the new year has begun

Still cold in North Texas--17 this morning, but I finally got brave, blocked the dog into his cozy bed, and ventured out. I really do okay in the cold--it's the dog I worry about. Don't want to leave him out, can't trust him alone in the house, but he seems to be okay if I put him in his bed and don't stay away too long. Went to the grocery and made a brief stop at the office. I came home to hibernate and suddenly was inspired by the Sisters in Crime listserv--those ladies, and a few men, constantly work at their careers, while I seem to sit and wait for something to happen. I realized I really have a lot to do and should stop sitting here reading mysteries, much as they relate to what I hope is my new career.
First decision: put my '90s historical fiction on KIndle. That's been a big topic on the listserv, and even if I doin't make any money, it seems to me it would be great for name recognition. I investigated a bit, wrote to my former agent to make sure rights have reverted, and then wrote my new agent. Lo, behold, and glory, he said he would take care of that as my agent. Not right away but in a few months (okay that made me a bit nervous!).
Second decision: I did the index recipe tonight for Grace & Gumption: The Cookbook. For those who don't know or remember, TCU Press did a book a couple of years ago titled Grace & Gumption: Stories of Fort Worth Women. Following it up with a cookbook was really my idea, because of my love of not only food but food writing, but it has been fun for all of us. I proofread the pages, then found out that wasn't one of my assigned chores--still my proofreading may help. But my job was to index the recipes, and tonight I've finished that, though I have to proofread. Then I'll make a list of cookbooks consulted, because there were a number of locally published cookbooks that ought to interest Fort Worth women. What really struck me was that when I categorized the recipes, the dessert section was twice as long as any other--what does that tell you about women? Actually, given my druthers in cooking, dessert is the last thing I make. I try to avoid them, am not creative about fixing them, and they never "look pretty" like the ones you see in magazines.
Third decision: I signed up for a class on Twitter. To me it is baffling, but maybe this class will help me make sense of it. It's supposed be a great tool for getting your name out there as an author. I do alright on Facebook though I'm mostly silently--some of my children are on it all the time with baffling messages that I can't understand at all--I've begun to think of some of my own family as aliens from another planet. And who needs to know every place they go all day? Now they've begun posting something from Gowalla and I have no idea what that is. I do strugglel hard to keep up and be computer literate, but it's hard.
Fourth decision: made a committment to do some volunteer work at the church on a weekly basis. Will call first time attendees and possibly take a weekly turn at the reception desk. I need to get back into the life of the church.
Tomorrow: staying home, keeping Scooby out of the cold, and starting to organize my tax info for 2009.
Whew! All this organikzed ambition has tired me out, and I'm going to read the Charlotte Hinger mystery I'm well into and hooked on.

No comments: