Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ooops! Chocolate mousse

Betty and I debated where to go for dinner tonight--we wanted to go someplace new, but we didn't want to run into stock show crowds. We finally decided on a bistro down the street from my house, where we both usually like the tapas platter, though you can never tell from day to day what will be offered. Tonight it was smoked salmon on toasts topped with a dab of whipped cream, manchego cheese, mushrooms stuffed with garlicky escargot (whoa! are they high on points if you eat many!), fingerling potatoes in a sauce, and spicy marinated beef that was delicious. We ate, enjoyed and were full when the devil made me do it. I said, "I want chocolate mousse." Betty admonished me that it's not on my diet and I couldn't have it,and I replied, "Let's do it anyway." So I had wonderful dark chocolate mousse, while she had creme brulee, and we each enjoyed our dessert a lot. And yes, it sent me way over points for the day--but the splurge was worth it. I'd been pretty good the rest of the day--the tapas portions of any one food are so small that the points are equally small, and I'd had a conservative lunch. Usually in the evenings, I'm hungry about nine o'clock. I want to nibble and snack--but tonight I don't feel that way at all. Every once in a while, chocolate mousse is worth the price you pay!

No comments: