Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Watching Cinderella

Yesterday in the car Jacob and I watched Cinderella. Surely I saw the same Disney verison when my kids were young, but it struck me as all new, somthing I had never seen and was charmed by. The characterizations are great, and you can't help but be fascinated even by the wicked stepmother. And when Cinderella's dress for the ball is torn by her wicked stepsisters, you ache for her. But the character I found most fascinating was the good fairy godmother, who creates her ball gown and pumpkin coach. The good fairy is a bit ditsy, forgetful, wondering where she put her magic but oh, so good hearted and kind and motherly. Watching it with more fascination than Jacob did I thought this is how you get characters for novels. You could transform the tired, time-worn Cinderella theme into a modern romance or even throw in a murder (the wicked stepmother?) and make it a mystery. I probably won't try that, but I do plan to work the fairy godmother into a book sometime, probably without the magic powers but still ditsy and loving and comforting and maybe solving all problems. I remember one of my mystery manuscripts that went nowhere, and it had a character much like that. I always loved her and was charmed by her, so I think I'll bring her to life again somewhere, sometime. To me watching Cinderella was a classic example of where authors get ideas for characters. And, hey, I was really into that movie. Monsters I didn't like to much, though the premise is pretty cool.
Today I went about the business of getting back to routine--lunch with my friend Fred to give him a manuscript to read. We ate at Cafe Aspen, a favorite restaurant that has recently changed hands, and I was interested to see the new layout and menu. I had sliders of a beef/pork/game mix, and Fred had crab cake sliders. Both good. But I missed David, the former owner and a good friend. Then next door to get a haircut, and on to Central Market, which was a zoo of people shopping for New Year's.Tonight I finally unpacked my suitcase and a paper sack of Christmas presents, wrote thank you emails to my children, and began to get a handle on being back in the routine.
The holidays are a time to gain weight, and I don't want to crow prematurely, but I actually lost about 3-4 lbs. I did watch what I ate but there are times on a trip when you just can't be careful. I expected to have gaied 5 lbs., so imagine my joy when I stpped on the scale this morning! Tonight I had a great dinner with few points--sauteed mushrooms, snap peas, and scallions, mixed with lightly floured and sauteed bay scallops. But I had to eat a bit of all that chocolate given to me for Christmas. Why did my kids fill my stocking with chocolate?

No comments: