Saturday, December 05, 2009

A lazy day

Well, okay, lethargic. My stomach, which has been bothering me all week, is better today, but I am sort of without energy. Had to make myself get out and go to the grocery this morning, came home to hibernate for the rest of the day, foregoing a holiday part I had looked forward to. But I'm comfortably cozy, or at least relatively so--this morning it was 26 degrees at 7:30, which may account in part for my lethargy. Who wants to go out in the cold? Tomorrow it won't be so cold in the morning, but it won't be very warm during the day either. Still I vow to have a brighter day tomorrow--going to "dry brine" a chicken and then roast it over vegetables. Jordan and Christian will come to help with the finishing touches of my decorations; Jacob will hinder more than help, and Jay will observe, though he says he'll help. Jacob and Jordan are coming for lunch, and then she's going somewhere while--I hope--Jacob and I nap. Which somehow reminds me I have to snap some green beans tonight. Not much snow, but for Houston it's early and quite a bit.
Snow in HOuston, and my Ceiva, which plays rotating pictures from all my family, already has pictures of Morgan and Kegan playing in it.
But there is a huge bright spot to me day. I consider just reading all day but then I thought if I can read, I can read my own mystery. So now, just after supper I am 60+ pages into editing the second mystery, tentative titled "No Neighborhood for Old Women." Okay, yes, it's a play on Cormac McCarthy--couldn't resist and should it ever get published, an editor will no doubt change it. But I figured I have to get this one in some shape and then I can move on to the next.
The book I started to read is the bestselling The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I had ordered it with a gift certificate I had but then Melanie said she really wants to read it and would I bring it at Christmas so she could. I thought I'd read it first and give it to her, but I may not get that done. The book is set in Jackson, Mississippi, Mel's hometown, albeit a few years before Melanie appeared in Jackson. It's not a mystery, and everyone knows if I'm not reading for work, I'm reading mysteries--but this one has been highly recommended by several people.
Meantime, it feels good to feel the wheels turning in my brain, as I rewrite sentences, change focus, try to beef up that first draft.

No comments: