Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Christmas of Dishwashing









Random Alter scenes from the after Christmas flurry, starting with the best of the blurry Christmas morning ones, at the bottom. At the top, Brandon enjoying his first cup of coffee of the day in the bright sunshine; then Jamie helping Maddie with her yoyo technique, and Morgan's first cake from her Easy Bake Oven; then Jacob with "his" Edie--that's what he calls her.

I have washed more dishes (and used more hand lotion) this week than in most entire years. The big kids are good about cleaning up but there is a tendency to assume it will get done after they bus their dishes. I find myself scrubbing bacon pans with inadequate equipment and water that is seriously scalding and dangerous. I think it's because I can't stand a messy kitchen, and they have other priorities, especially up here where the outdoors calls to them--but not to me.
The sick ones are better. After a trip to the doctor yesterday, Melanie summed up our illness record: food poisoning, 4; acute mountain sickness, 1; strep throat, 1. Jamie, with mountain sickness, slept with oxygen last night and is worlds betteer, says he'll sleep with it again tonight. Edie is on antibiotics and looks brighter. Food poisoning was early in the week and almost forgotten, at least by those of us not affected, but there's an unnamed fast-food chain where we won't be stopping again! Jamie missed two full days, including Christmas.
What I did on my vacation:
1. I slept a lot, maybe altitude, maybe relaxation, maybe laziness. But my bed was so cozy, I slept long nights and took long naps.
2. I ate a lot and my WeightWatchers points are crazy, though I keep trying. The kids have made tortilla soup, roast beef and a potato casserole, flourless chocolate cake, chili, tacos, and of course that marvelous turkey dinner. For breakfast there always seemed to be eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, sticky buns, etc--while I soldier on eating cottage cheese for breakfast and small portions of everything else.
3. Read, worked on my computer, did the "work" kind of things I like to do.
4. Watched my grandchildren--their dispositions change when all in a bunch. Kegan, who has always been shy around me, favors me with adorable smiles--so does Morgan. Jacob will have nothing to do with me except for occasional moments. Ford and Sawyer are into everything and constantly being reprimanded. Maddie and Edie remain the same--good kids.
5. Enjoyed the winter landscape outside our windows. Today the snow has either blown off or evaporated from the trees on the mountain we can see but beyond loom the high snow-covered peaks. I like the idea of being in snow country, but I'd forgotten (of course, in Texas) how much trouble it is to bundle everyone up, big and little. And I like enjoying it from inside. Twenty years ago I used to walk with  the best of them on our annual Santa Fe trips but, well--I have to cite age.
What I did not do:
1. One lick of work on the proofreading/indexing project I brought with me.'
2. Any winter sports such as skiing, sledding, etc.--all those things that draw people to Breckenridge.
What I've learned:
1. Never bring a long coat, even if you're not planning to ski--bring a ski jacket (so if mine is 30 years old or more and matches nothing else I own).
2. I can't mother my children--they organize at their own pace (which sometimes frustrates the compulsive streak in me and Jordan). When I began to worry that packing and restoring order to the cabin would take all day, Lisa said, "Chill." And Megan very pratically pointed out that if we plan to eat at 6:00, we'll eat at 7:30. She was right on the money Christmas Day. I have to squelch the urge to want them to do all things as we did when they were young--they they've retained quite a few traditions.
Do I want to do this again? For sure. Probably someplace neither as high nor as cold (Santa Fe anyone?). In one big house for all of us? You bet--even if I have to wash dishes. After all, I haven't done any cooking.

No comments: