Thursday, December 24, 2009

Cold, clear, snowy day



A confession: I had most mixed emotions about this vacation: I don't particularly like cold weather, I am nervous on mountain roads, and with  apprension, my balance went south. Colin ordered me not to walk outside without holding on to someone else, adding that none of the family wanted their vacation spoiled by a broken hip and adding ominously that broken hips could be fatal. So over some family objections I commandeered the only bedrom on the same floor as the main living area (it's also the master and the biggest, but I figure age has its privileges).
Well, today, I had a wonderful time and decided I am thoroughly enjoying the vacation. Mel, Jordan and I (the nonskiers) took Jacob and Kegan and went to town. Instead of fearing that mountain road, I loved it--even looked out over the town way below us. The roads were freshly plowed, after 5 inches of new snow, and we had chains. Jordan drove slowly and carefully and wasn't nervous at all. We had promised the boys a visit to the Children's Museum but it didn't happen. One big grocery trip and we were ready for lunch. I walked without problem on the snow in my new Wal-Mart boots ($7)--ok, I held on to Mel a bit. Mostly the boys enjoyed the outing--I got to push the basket with the two of the in it. After lunch, home to unpack groceries, read a book and nap. Tonight Brandon is making his famous chili, we have a Christmas tree up and decorated, music playing, and it all feels festive.
And I'm really happy to be here. Large families are fun, but the dynamics are interesting. Yes, we all get along perfectly, but there are undercurrents and figuring them out is intersting. I find I use people from my family in my novels--and this trip has been an education. I tried to take a picture of all the skiers, big and little, in the hot tub, but it didn't work through the window and I didn't want to go outside to get it.
Merry Christmas to everyone, and God bless!

No comments: