Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Book review and a fabulous house

Today another author, Kay Nelson, and I shared the spotlight at the annual Christmas luncheon of a local book group. Ten of the most interesting ladies I've met in a long time. I went without a clue what I was going to say, but the hostess asked me a question that got me started, and we were off and running. Later I sold all twelve copies of  Cooking My Way Through Life with Kids and Books that I'd brought with me. Kay's book, Spilled Blood, is a novel about relations between American and Islamic peoples, made clear and specific through the meeting of two women. The book questions war and peace and tells a story of learning to accept others and develop an unlikely bond. She did a great job talking about why she wrote it and sparked a lively discussion of the U.S. role in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The food was delicious, although it's a bit immodest of me to say that--the recipes came from my cookbook. Doris' casserole, the Star Cafe house salad dressing, and Texas Delight for dessert. Another day when I don't want to talk a bout Weight Watchers points!
But the highlight of the entire lovely event was seeing the hostess' house. Located west of Fort Worth, in Aledo, it sits high on a hill, and the main living areas are on the floor above the entry level. The entire open great room and kitchen is surrounded by windows, so there is almost a 360 degree view. The kitchen sits in one corner--streamlined, stainless steel counters, efficient beyond belief--with a view to the north (or maybe east, but I think north). I could imagine Sue cooking there in the evening, looking over the houses below all decorated with Christmas lights. To the west (I think) were a few more houses--all set much lower--and then, beyond prairie dotted with scrub growth. It's a modern house, too modern for me probably, but I did covet that kitchen and the view. The sink faced the common room, though there was a view out the windows on the other side--I think I'd have had the sink by that great northern view.
We got a tour later--the ground floor level has his and her offices and a bedroom for a grandchild. Below that, I presume is the garage. But it was all tasteful, wonderful, and amazing. Seeing that house was the highlight of my day!
Tonight Jay and Susan came for cocktails--isn't it nice to have neighbors who bring their own beer?--and exchange of gifts. We laughed and visited and had a high old time, and they left with Christmas wishes. They drive to Taos Friday, and I leave for Breckenridge (CO) on Monday. Both of us use the same pet sitter, so he'll be going between the two houses, but we'll be well protected.
I made an easy, quick appetizer for tonight--the mixture my mom used to stuff into mushrooms: grate cheddar, chop scallions, add dry mustard and Worcestershire with a fairly free hand, and bind with mayonnaise. Tonight I put it on baguette slices and broiled them. So good, even if I do say so.

No comments: