Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Snow and cold

This morning I looked out the front door to see if it was raining and I was puzzled--the rain looked so funny, like tiny fragmented leaves falling from the trees. You'd think this child of the Midwest would have caught on more quickly, but it took several minutes for me to register that it was snowing. Jordan called just before 8 a.m. to crow about it snowing, and I'm afraid I wasn't as enthusiastic as she was. The wet cold stuck me with a dilemma--did I want to get out today or stay in all day? The latter would have been a good idea, because I would have done more work. But about ten, the snow-turned-rain had stopped and it was just plain wet/cold. I went to the office, did a bit of work I needed to do, and wrapped the presents I need to mail. Then hurried home to hibernate. Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder, and I'll stay home all day. Then, Friday, when I have to grocery shop, it will be snow flurries again. I hope they don't amount to much, because TCU Press has its Annual Autograph Extravaganzae Friday night at 5 p.m. and Sat. night I am invited to a party which involves negotiating a really steep flight of stairs in the midst of a driveway--no railings. Jeannie has promised to hold on to me! Tonight I was so cold in the house I dreaded going out to take care of Scooby--but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected once I was outside. Now Scooby's inside and settled for the night and at 8:15 I'm temted to follow him and go to sleep.
Betty and I went and had sushi tonight--nothing like wasabi to warm your soul on a cold night!
I've been seriously thinking about all the things, busy work really, that I put between me and that second mystery. I really need to start editing it, but I can always putter. Like tonight, I think I'll sort some bookcases. I have lots of books that I want to get rid of, and Jeannie has found a Half Price Books that pays more than others. I'll probably do a bit of that, read a bit, and go to sleep early. But tomorrow, on that day at home, I'm going to start reading the manuscript--that's a resolution. Tonight, I'm feeling virtuous because I rode the bike for 22 minutes, first time I've exercise in a week. I can plead stomach troubles but a big part of it was sheer inertia. Sometimes I think inertia is good--after all retirement is about relaxation. But the saner part of me realizes that total inertia leads nowhere.
Tomorrow will be a new day--how often have I said that?

No comments: