Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Christmas flurry

I've been a laggard about blogging the last few days. One night I just didn't feel I had that much to say, and last night my computer did it's funny thing again where when I try to restart it, it reloads updates for hours on end. It started it at 1:30 yesterday afternoon and was still doing it when I went to sleep--most frustrating.
It's been a busy week, and I don't know why I scheduled so much for the last week before Christmas vacation. But Wed. I spoke to a book group luncheon (much fun, I think I blogged about it). Wed. night Jay and Susan came for wine and gift exchange. Thursday I spent all morning in the office, trying desperately to wrap up loose ends, and then went to a retirees luncheon--lovely music, good food, a pleasant time. Friday I was out the door at 8:30 to speak to two groups of elementary children at The Montessori Academy in Arlington. The younger ones (grades 1,2 and 3) were wildly enthusiastic, each raising their hands that they wanted to be writers, and we talked mostly about how a book goes from your computer to a published book (isn't it wonderful--even at that age they all work on computers!). They were full of questions, and the 45 minutes flew by; grades 4, 5, and 6 were more restrained--only a few who wanted to write, sporadic questions, with long silences between that left me thinking frantically about what story I could tell them. It wasn't a failure, but it wasn't my grandest moment. However, I was paid handsomely, and by 11 a.m. I was back at the office, again cleaning up last-minute details, and then for a Christmas staff lunch at a local Lebanese restaurant with a terrific buffet. Last night Jordan and Christian and Jacob came for King Ranch casserole that I had cobbled together the night before--Jacob didn't like it, but we all did. Then we went on a tour of lights around the city, which was lots of fun--I haven't done that in years. Jacob mostly enjoyed it, turned a bit whiny, but, hey, it's the holidays--even three-year-olds feel the excitement=stress.
I have decided my problem is that I like my own cooking too much. I've gained 3 lbs. in the last couple of weeks. I really really need to banish chocolate from this house. But Wed. I think I mentioned the lunch hostess cooked Doris casserole from my cookbook--and I ate two helpings, plus I ate dessert. Last night I ate two helpings of King Ranch chicken--I'd been wanting it for a while, and it tasted so good! And there were those chocolate chip bars left from the party that just stared at me until I had to eat two. A bad day for Weight Watchers points.
Today I have tried to be good--ate grilled (notice, not fried) oysters for lunch at the Flying Fish with my dear friend Charles (so glad to see him getting out) and his daughter Marsha. So far I've resisted chocolate. And tonight--ONE serving only of King Ranch, plus a bit of leftover cheese spread and the peas Jacob didn't eat last night. I'm trying to clean out the refrigerator, but that's a disaster for a diet.
Tomorrow I'll make sloppy Joe for the Frisco and Houston Alters, who will all spend the night, and we'll leave at 6:00 a.m. Monday for Colorado. The pet sitter will be at the house, the alarm service is on, and the neighborhood patrol has me on their list so I feel safe about leaving. Yet it's always a wrench for me to be away from home for more than one night. On the other hand, I know I'll enjoy the trip and being with my family. Look for sporadic blog posts.

No comments: