Sunday, December 20, 2009

Festive evening

The Christmas spirit has been strong at my house tonight. My neighbor, Sue, came to pick up a key and an abundance of eggs I had in the fridge. Her parents, newly in town, came with her to say hello. So we all sat down with wine. Then friends showed up at the door for my annual Christmas party--which was last week. So they came in, joined us for a glass of wine and I felt very festive. I love a neighborhood like mine where this happens. And as we got to talking, everybody knew people in common. As someone once said, there's not six degrees of separation in Fort Worth.
In the midst of my impromptu cocktail hour (no hors d'oevres, shame on me!), Colin, Lisa, Morgan and Kegan arrived. Although I know Colin knows these people, he was a bit confused, and the kids were shy, but it was still fun.
We ate dinner--a big pot of my sloppy Joe, which is really a wine stew but I call it sloppy Joe because it has hamburger and beans and every seasoning you can thing of. Jamie and Mel arrived so I fed the second shift. We're all off to Colorado in the morning--the Houston Alters are adamant they we're pulling out of the driveway at 6:00 a.m. Tomorrow will be a long day but we hope to get over the Raton Pass and into Trinidad before dark.
It's a comfort to know that my house will be occupied and my animals well cared for. I'm excited about the trip and snow and family.

No comments: