Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Oh, What a Day!

Remember that song from "Oklahoma"? Curly sings it, and I think it's the day he meets what's-her-name or else the day they declare their love. And the gist of the song is what a wonderful day it has been. That's not the kind of day I had at all. Last night my new computer (two days in use) began acting really weird--I couldn't pull up  a Web site but Jamie, talking to me on the phone, got it easily and logged into my account (okay, it was Weight Watchers). Then the Webroot Sweep mechanism acted funny and Jamie suggested I just re-boot. But when I did I got a blue screen advising me not to power off or unplug my computer because it was loading 8 of 25 updates. The blue was softened with streaks of white like clouds and a few oak leaves--how comforting! How can a two-day-old computer need 25 updates? Periodically in spite of that warning it would turn itself off, so I'd restart it, each time hoping. Same blue screen. This went on for three hours last night.
I'm not sure I can adequately explain how important a computer is to me, without everyone else thinking, "Get a life!" But I depend on my computer, as any writer does, to work on manuscripts--and I really did have a scene I wanted to write last night. But also I get a lot of email, really a lot, mostly because I'm on two listservs from Sisters in Crime but also emails related to TCU Press. I do my banking on line, pay my bills, order things. Even though I'm not truly proficient, I really do live by my computer--and I spend most of my time at home at my desk, with the computer running, even if I'm reading, proof-reading, editing, whatever. So I go pretty ballistic when it quits. Jamie was patient through three phone calls but by the fourth I think he'd given up and said he really didn't know.
I didn't sleep well, aware that I had to be out the door at 8 for a haircut appt. across town and thinking about the blasted computer. This morning it was doing the same thing, so I resolved to put it behind me and go on with my day. Only trouble is my haircut was at 9:30, not 8:30; Rosa called me on my cell phone, and I told her I simply had too much to do to wait another hour.Went to Central Market, which was a weird experience because the lights weren't even on in many sections--clearly they weren't quite ready for the day, although it was after 9 and I thought they opened at 8. Got the few things I needed, went to CVS for a prescription and a couple of other things, went home to put groceries up, and went back to the office to do acquisitions work that had piled up and other things that I hadn't been able to deal with on my computer., including getting the telephone number for Dell tech support.
Came home, put things away, straightened up, fixed lunch, and settled to call Dell. While waiting for them to transfer me from one tech person to another, I hit the power key again--and the computer was back to itself. I hung up guiltily, but I can't tell you how much less pressured I feel now. I was sure the computer had crashed and I'd have to go to the office every day to get things done until Jamie could bring my old computer back this weekend. Now I feel on top of my world again (with my fingers crossed).  As for the haircut, I'm simply going to have long shaggy hair until after New Year's though since I hadn't washed it this morning, I felt really tacky all day and announced at the office that I would not bear any comments about blowsy blondes.
The day ended with Jacob, who cried bitterly when his mom left but soon brightened up and was a fireball of energy all evening--he ate a good dinner but I began to regret having given him that one sugar cookie as a reward. He'd do headstands which ended with him throwing himself at me, and he wouldn't be parted from me for a minute. It was "Juju!" every time I turned around. I talked a lot about patience, and late tonight he said, "We have to be patient, don't we?" I nearly fell off my chair laughing. All in all we had a pleasant and fun evening, though I am a bit tired.
And the week is about to get really busy. Why did I say I'd present two programs the week before we leave for Christmas?

No comments: