Monday, July 12, 2010

A worrisome day, a political rant, and a pleasant dinner

My oldest son, Colin, has Crohn's disease, and this morning Lisa, his lovely wife, took him to the ER because he was very sick last night. They scheduled a cat scan and admitted him, though it was six hours before he got a bed. He of course wanted to go right home, but they said no, he has a partial obstruction. Tonight I haven't heard the results of the scan--I imagine the radiologist won't read it until tomorrow--nor is there any word on the planned treatement. I'm worried, of course, as any mother would be. Offered to go to Houston if I couldl help Lisa with the children, but we're all in a wait mode. Colin has had mild flare-ups over the years and I'm sure he doesn't feel good a lot of the time but just doesn't tell us, but this is the first major problem he's had in eight years. Then, it took six months, changing doctors, and a lot of stuff before he had surgery. He had gotten down to 119 lbs. and looked like an Auschwitz survivor, but he's had a healthy weight since. I'm grateful that this time the doctors are on it right away, and his regular physician will see him. Still I'm waiting for word.
This morning a friend called to chat and in the conversation said she was ready to move to Arizona to support their anti-immigration law (I don't think she really is). When I admitted that the problem is really severe in Arizona but I wasn't sure this law was the right fix, she said, "Well, our government isn't doing anything and somebody has to start somewhere." Then on the Diane Rehm show I listened to Tea Party members who say the government should have no control over any aspect of our lives (I wonder if they realize what chaos would result if the government suddenly withdrew from everything--reminds me of the guy who said, "And keep your government hands off my Medicare." Duh?) Our neighborhood email newsletter has been abuzz (okay, pun, it's the Berkeley Buzz) with messages about the possibility of a historic overlay. Berkeley is one of those neighborhoods of charming older homes, many dating back to the  1920s, and yet we've had a few cases of people tearing down older homes and building McMansions that don't fit the neighborhood at all. On the Buzz, it's amazing how many people are adamant that the government can't tell them what to do with their homes (actually the overlay only affects the exterior and does not impinge on updating, etc.). But the conclusion I reached is the government is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. People want the government so solve the BP spill, solve the immigration problem, create new jobs (magically, I presume), and solve all other problems--but don't let the government trample on my rights as an individual. I think people have to decide to have it one way or another. Okay, rant done.
I had a lovely evening tonight. Carol Roark and I celebrate July birthdays, and Kathie Lang Allen cooked dinner for us and included good friend and fellow publisher Fran Vick. Delicious chicken salad (a la Helen Corbitt), asparagus, tomato aspic, and, wonder of wonders, popovers! Plus a peach poundcake for dessert. We visited, traded gossip, and ate heartily. The gift exchange was lovely, and I am grateful to my friends for some lovely additions to my home.

No comments: