Thursday, November 15, 2007

Vaccines and chefs

Life is not always fair. Last week I had that stomach thing, and this week it's that scratchy throat, head cold kind of thing. I really don't feel bad, but today whenever I opened my mouth, I squeaked, and I found that depressing. Megan called in the morning, and when she heard my voice she said, "Mom, why don't you let Susan answer the phone?" Stubborn is my middle name--I kept croaking out, "TCU Press. This is Judy Alter."
Came home at noon and got really busy. I've finished another chef's profile, this on Lanny Lancarte who two years ago opened a "high end" Mexican restaurant, blending French techniques with Mexican ingredients and coming up with dishes like you've never tasted before. He and Jordan went to middle school together, and it's been fun to follow his career.
Then I added some more, quite a bit more, to my vaccines manuscript and discovered that though I haven't said everything, it's already too long. So as usual with a children's manuscript, slimpifying and cutting are in the future. But it's a great feeling to have a rough draft.
Jamie called tonight, and I am going to Frisco for Thanksgiving. I had offered to make a sweet potato/pecan pie but did refuse to take it on the train. He isn't so much interested in the pie but wants sweet potatoes with marshmallows when I get over there. No bourbon, though I always used to put bourbon in them. I think I'll just give up the idea of dessert--nobody eats it on Thanksgiving anyway.
Had dinner tonight with good friends Elizabeth and Weldon--she was a work-study student (nontraditional) in our office for over two years. As she reminded me tonight, it's been over twelve years ago! But I love it that I've kept up the friendship with her and welcomed Weldon when he came into her life. My friend Carol Roark happened into the restaurant, and she joined us. A thoroughly pleasant evening--though I still croaked and squeaked. I'm better at home where I don't have to talk to the dog and cat.

No comments: