Friday, November 09, 2007

Random Thoughts

I'm watching Bill Moyers interview Thomas Cahill, author of How the Irish Saved Civilzation and other important books. Cahill is writing a book now on the death penalty, a departure in subject matter for him. He's following one Texas case of a man executed in 2004, and he makes a lot of good points--change in society comes not from governments from movements within countries (such as Desmond Tutu and his group in Africa), that the urge for violence, to execute is some primitive instinct that lingers in all of us but the mark of civilization is to live in peace. Lots of lessons for our country, domestically and internationally. Cahill is a learned, erudite and completely accessible and likeable man. And as a longtime opponent to the death penalty, I applaud his views--and his forthcoming book.
Met another likeable man today--one of our authors who came all the way from Wyoming to take the office staff to lunch (he'd already sent us a beautiful bouquet) and sign his new novel at three bookstores. I wondered a bit--he has been so persistent about promotion, although he's done it all himself and on his own nickel, that I feared he might be pushy. He turned out to be a really nice, down to earth guy who has done some amazing things--like starting a radio station in a small Alaskan town where he taught English for some 25 years. Bob Cherry's novel, Moving Serafina, is set in his native West Texas and is well done (of course it is or we wouldn't have published it!). But it's a pleasure when an author turns out to be so pleasant to work with and so willing. I bet his book will sell well. What an author is willing to do makes all the difference.
I got in the Christmas mode today. Did my first baking--oatmeal brown sugar bars with dried cranberries, a bit of orange juice, chocolate bits, and pecan pieces (I'm relishing the crumbs that didn't cut smoothly.) Then I emptied what I call my "gift closet" onto the guest bed--of course, I found things I'd forgotten I'd bought and had no idea who I intended them for. I try to keep a list on my computer but it usually gets away from me. I also found I had three and four gifts for some people who are easy to buy for--the kind that so many things you see strike you as "just right" for them--and none for some of the not-so-easy people in my family. I know my early start on the holidays frustrates some of my family who do things at the last minute--Megan, I'm sure, has barely begun to think about shopping--but it's the way I get things done. By the week before Chirstmas I predict I'll be all done and back to working on my writing.
I am, with many thanks to the powers that be, back to myself after whatever bug hit me earlier in the week. It's like coming out of a great fog but it sure feels good. Tomorrow is a luncheon with all the contributors to Grace & Gumption: Stories of Fort Worth Women followed by a signing with all of us at a nearby Barnes & Noble. Should be fun.

No comments: