Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Being a grandmother

Maybe this is a decadent week all together. I am not as pushed at work as usual and have taken advantage of that to come home at noon two days in a row. I'm nursing an annoying scratchy throat and cough--don't feel bad, just have those othersome symptoms. Today I kept Jacob for two hours while his mama went to the doctor. He is tireless! If he's inside, he wants to be outside; outside, he wants to be in. Really he wants to open the door and walk up the step countless times. I did take him out on the porch--built barricades of porch furniture so he wouldn't tumble down the steps. But I thought he'd enjoy seeing the kids leave the school across the street, and he did. He waved and waved--I swear the kid will be a politician--and it didn't seem to bother him that no one waved back. Bothered me though. I wanted to shout, "Don't you see how cute he is? Wave, for goodness sake!" By supper time Jacob had a major meltdown--he loves to suck on lemons, and his mom forgot he has a cut on his hand and gave him a lemon slice from her plate of salmon. Predictable results--he screamed and screamed . . . and then screamed some more. When we finally got him settled down, he ate an entire chicken thigh and lots of salmon, plus broccoli. Good eater. They were both tired--Jacob rubbing his eyes and Jordan rolling hers heavenward--so they went home early.
I had a letter to the editor in the newspaper today. Always fun--I usually hear from one or more people, liberal friends all, saying how much they liked my letter. This was about the futility of writing my Congressmen in a state where they all follow the White House line.
Last night I was far from decadent. I wrote about 1500 words, nearly half of a children's text on vaccines. I thought I had it all laid out in my mind, but when I got to writing I found that it was not nearly so straightforward. I think tonight I'll put it aside.
Last night I also finished the Margaret Truman mystery I was reading--Murder at the Opera. I really do like her books. Next I want to investigate the new subgenre of gardening mysteries. Susan Wittig Albert is probably the leading name, but there are others.

No comments: