Thursday, November 22, 2007

Follow Your Passion--Installmant Two

Yesterday my horoscope said that I should listen to my own thoughts because inside my practical exterior is a philosophical person. Well, I'd been feeling philosophical anyway and meant to post last night but enjoyed my granddaughters too much. But that follow your passion idea is still on my mind.
After my brother, John, read my first post on the subject, he called to say he knew exactly what in my life I was talking about. And then we talked about it. It was, of course, a time when I lacked the courage or conviction or whatever to pledge myself to a man I loved very much but of whom my famiily did not approve because of religious differences. So of course I've wondered about what might have been--but also realized that I have four wonderful children and a rewarding career I wouldn't have had if I'd taken that fork in the road. But then I got to thinking about him. Would his life have been better or worse if Ihad followed him? I've had contact with him quite a few years ago, and he seemed to have had a good life with a successful careeer and a close family, though he wasn't ecstatic about life in general. Perhaps now, in his 70s, he's more content.
And then because I'd been talking to John I remember something he'd said to me one day--that all of us have those "three o'clock in the morning" thought where we think, "Ooops. Wish I hadn't done that one." And some have a lot more of those thoughts, with reason, than others. I think those thoughts too often have to do with relationships and folowing your heart and sometimes mistaking passion for where your heart would lead you. Sometimes I think the Lord rescued me from making a lot of bad mistakes along the way--with the result that I have more rewards in terms of family, friends, and career than I perhaps deserve.
Philosophy aside, I have had a lovely Thanksgiving and hope everyone else has too. I'm in Frisco with Jamie and Mel, Maddie and Edie. Mel cooked a wonderful traditional dinner, and we all ate way too much. We had dinner about 2 or 2:30, cleaned up and went to see Mr. Magorium, which was cute--some of the effects were really magical. I had tried to stay home and read, but when an 8-year-old pouts and says, "Please go with us, Juju" there's no choice.
Tonight the weather forecasts are full of snow, although mostly to the west, and freezes. And two days ago it was 84! Tonight when we went out I bundled up because I expected this Arctic cold, but it wasn't that bad. Who knows what the weekend will bring.
Thanksgiving is behind us, and even though it was early this year, it means that Christmas is just around the corner.

No comments: