Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Bad Week Continues

Today, my disasters were all electronic. This morning, I moved the family room TV just a skosh so that it would more face my exercise bycicle--and it quit totally. I exercised without TV, although I had the newspaper for company. Except that today's dwindling newspapers don't occupy enough time for a good workout. I spent almost an hour on the phone this afternoon with the Dish people who finally concluded that the problem was with the TV. It's not a very old TV, and I would hope not. But I'm stymied. At first, the Dish connection in my study--more important than the famiy room to me--didn't work, but after all the things the Dish people told me to do, it's back on. I'm a confessed news junkie, and if I can't watch TV I'll go bananas. Terrible to be so dependent on TVs and computers, but I confess--I am.
Then tonight my computer went crazy. I was looking up things on amazon, when it froze. Ctrl-alt-delete did nothing, turning it off did nothing. Then it began to end programs by itself, but I couldn't use the mouse--the arrow didn't go anywhere. This is where I learned another lesson in patience--it's not my strong suit, and I learn those lessons all the time. I finally just sort of waited it out until it told me that Windows was exiting. Oh, yes, the picture on my remote monitor was sideways--a lovely vision of myself and my brother sitting on the loveseat on the porch, with 3-week-old Kegan (he's now six or seven months) sprawled in my lap sideways. Only you had to tilt your head to see it sensibly. When the computer finally turned itself off, and I could reboot, all seemed well, and John and Kegan and I were once again right side up.
I'm giving up and going to bed.

No comments: