Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Strange times



Patio art--just in case!

Yard art has become a thing. One of my friends questioned recently in exasperation why all her friends had suddenly grown cheap Mexican tin art in their yards. I confess guilt. I have two flamingos, a peacock, an elephant plant holder and a VW one, a daisy, a pot with faux mums, and an oversize cockroach. The critters have even moved inside where a chihuahua and a wise old owl often decorate my coffee table. Once you indicate a liking for this yard art, your family inundates you.

Last night Jordan got the potty chair out of the attic, hosed it down, and set it on the patio, awaiting pickup by a friend who is facing back surgery. It struck me as the weirdest piece of yard art yet, and I couldn’t resist a picture. We had company last night, and I wondered what our guest thought as Jordan led her past that potty chair.

It also has struck me that there are some weird things in the news lately that, in this time of ugly feelings, provide at least a smile or two at the absurdity. It’s not really funny that a car plowed into the Czech Stop in West—but it provoked some wonderful comments. West is a Czech town, and the Czech Stop on the highway is a huge tourist attraction, offering sausages, kolaches, home baked goods, some pretty good sandwiches, along with a sampling of the junk you would find at Buccees. Yesterday, a driver put the car in drive instead of reverse, and drove right into the main area of the store. For Texans who commute between DFW and Austin, it was like desecrating a shrine. A man who went to school with my kids tweeted, “The end of the world as we know it.” Fortunately, there were no major injures and no structural damage and the bakery end of the business was up and running again today. Bakery reopens after car crashes through Czech Stop in West (wacotrib.com) We can stop for kolaches the next time we go to Austin.

IN other news, the Missouri legislature, never a forward-looking bunch, is considering an extreme version of Ron DeSantis’ “Don’t Say Gay” bill. One legislator, usually conservatively but also gay, took it upon himself to quiz the bill’s author on why teachers could no longer mention Martha Washington in the classroom if the bill passes. He was clever; she was not. Missouri Lawmaker Holds Fellow Republican's Feet To The Fire Over Anti-LGBTQ Bill | HuffPost Latest News

Despite crazy news, it has not been a happy few days for me. My big (and only) brother has been in the hospital and not doing well, with a variety of problems including the old man’s friend, pneumonia. Yesterday, he was put in ICU though today he is out again, which is a good sign. Worry has meant that I alternate between crying (softly, I hope) and optimism. My friends have been very supportive, and I have prayer partners from my church praying with me.

I read something recently about someone who felt adrift, and that’s how I felt. “Adrift” resonated for another reason: I read elsewhere that people like me who are afraid of height have that phobia because they need something strong and tangible to hold on to. The two go together in my mind. My kids have been so supportive when I call them with bulletins about Uncle John, that it has come home to me that they are my way of holding on and avoiding feeling totally adrift.

It has not been a good start to 2023, and now that we are almost a third of the way into the year, I am worrying about how it will work out. I nearly lost my dog, and now I am in danger of losing my brother; Christian’s mother took a turn for the worse, though she now seems settled into a routine of home health care. Friends close to me have had knee surgery, a mastectomy, a mycobacterium infection. Friends I am not so close to but still value have had massive infections, Covid, and several have died. I keep saying there’s a spot on the moon, but I am beginning to feel like Typhoid Mary. I am grateful that I am healthy, but oh so ready for a break in this string. Prayers, please.

My wish for each of you tonight is for good health and much happiness. And laughter at the silly things in life.

No comments: