Tuesday, March 28, 2023

How Not to Start the Day

 


Image of Sophie because i needed 
something light-hearted for a somber post.
I refuse to post a picture of an assault weapon.

Well, that was exciting. I’m here to tell you that at 6:10 or so in the morning, it is still very dark. As in pitch-black, feel-your-way-around dark. This morning Sophie and I were up at 5:00 because she was acting strange and staring at the kitchen door. I got up prepared to catch night visitors in the act of vandalizing our cars. I peeped under a shade on the kitchen door. Nothing. Was that movement behind Jacob’s SUV? Was the back of his SUV open? Hard to tell in the total dark.

I decided it was nothing and went back to sleep, only to be startled awake a little after six. Confused at first, I couldn’t figure out where I was nor why I was awake. Then I realized there were no lights. I sleep with a lamp on in my living room and yard lights blazing. I feel guilty about the latter, because I now it disturbs the daily cycles of birds and night critters, but I trade the guilt for a feeling of being safe against night visitors and other unsavory characters.

But this morning I’m not sure if the power made a noise when it went off or if the sudden dark itself woke me, but suddenly there I was awake and a bit disoriented. I reached for my walker and could only find one handle—that’s was the disorientation you get in true dark until your eyes adjust. Finally I made it to the kitchen and peeked under that same shade. Far as I could tell lights were out in the main house and the houses on both sides. Then I ventured into the living room and saw that the neighbors behind me were also dark.

I sat at my desk and turned on the light on my phone, which was suddenly awfully bright. Couldn’t figure out why I would need it, turned it off, and went back to bed. All this time, Sophie was following close by me, confused I’m sure. I wasn’t back in bed long before the lights came back on.

Later I learned that a driver had died in a one-car accident several blocks away. His car was speeding down Forest Park Boulevard, hit the guard rail, flew across open space, hit an electric pole, landed on its side and caught fire. May he rest in peace. Jordan told me the power went off several times, but briefly each time. I guess I slept through the others.

When I finally woke up and made it to my desk, hot tea in hand, I found myself inundated with TV news and analysis of the school shooting in Nashville. Suddenly, I was white hot angry—angry at the shooter, of course, but even angrier at the Republican politicians who tried to brush it off with their tired arguments.

Gym Jordan accuses Democrats of trying to politicize a tragedy. Well, you know what—it is indeed a political issue: Democrats want a ban on assault weapons and reasonable gun control; Republicans want to whine about the second amendment and their rights. (They need to study the second amendment and stop bending it to their wishes.) They want to investigate Hunter Biden and drag queens and Mark Twain’s books, but heaven forbid they should care about let alone protect the lives of America’s children.

Marjorie Taylor Greene, that odious bag of puffery, yells about the gender-bending medications the shooter was taking and how they caused the whole thing. Our children won’t be safe, she claims, until teachers are armed. Oh good job, MTG, what we need is more guns. Does she know how many guns were outside the Uvalde school, waiting while children were slaughtered. A good guy with a gun is not the answer.

Neither can she nor anyone else claim that gender-bending drugs caused this tragedy. Guns did it. Say it out loud: guns killed those children and adults. The shooter was being treated for an emotional problem. Think about this: if assault weapons had been banned, and if strict gun control had kept weapons out of the shooter’s possession because of mental instability, how different would yesterday have been?

With each tragic school shooting, the reasonable among us think maybe this is the one, the one that will galvanize the country, make our leaders and our people realize how wrong this needless slaughter is. How far out of step we are with other civilized nations of the world. And then the furor dies down. Not. This. Time.

I hope every Democrat on every ticket will take courage in hand and campaign on the twin issues of gun control and abortion. Call out the hypocrisy! Call out the callous carelessness about human life, the blind ideas that defy knowledge and studies and medicine. We won years ago with Roe v. Wade, we got an assault weapon ban in 1994, we can do it all again. We just have to be fired up. Please—do whatever you can. Speak out, call  your congressmen. We do not have to live like this.

Amen.

 


No comments: