Friday, February 26, 2010

Touring the Fort Worth suburbs--well, sort of

Actually, our tour ended up being of Tarrant, Johnson, and Hood counties, but my story begins a bit before that. I have what I call a night-time cold. I'm fine in the daytime, well mostly, but at night I'm besieged with the symptoms of a head cold. Add to that the fact that I had lunch arrangments every day this week--and they all cancelled, for one good reason or another. In truth, I cancelled Wednesday and elected not to go to a luncheon because I was still busy at the office. But it's sort of an amazing record. Last night I had a scratchy throat and just generally felt bad--two aspirin, dinner, and a bit of wine helped.
This morning Jeannie and I were scheduled to go to Half Price Books in Burleson (where they pay more than the store in Fort Worth) and then to Babe's Fried Chicken for lunch. I was ready to give it up, settle for lunch at Neiman's, and forget the trip, but Jeannie convinced me that getting out would be good for me. I agreed, but begged not to go to Babe's--I lost slightly over two pounds last week and didn't want to undo that with fried chicken, in spite of the fact that I've been longing to go to Babe's forever. So we went to Half Price Books, but it wasn't quite that easy.
I always assume Jeannie knows where she's going--not so. She said it was right off the freeway, and sure enough it was--we saw it as we sailed by. So we had to go a long distance south, then double back a long way, and circle around. For me it was worth it--$81 for the books I decided I could part with to make room on my shelves.
Then Jeannie wanted to eat at the Purple Turnip in Cleburne, so we set off in that direction, only to be lost again, doing our loop around thing until we finally got on the road to Cleburne. Then there was construction, and traffic was awful. Then Jeannie overshot the road where the restaurant was. We finally got there, had a good lunch (salmon burgers and Caesar salad) and headed home. Only we got lost again, because of the construction, had to do another loop, and finally found the road to 377 that bypasses all the Burleson traffic. I showed Jeannie a way to bypass the Benbook traffic, and we sailed home. It all would have been a lovely adventure in the country (barring the congested surburban areas) except that it was rainy, windy and cold. Still, we had a good time, and I came home a bit richer. We decided, come spring and good weather, we'd do it again and then go sit on my brother's patio and drink wine--he's in that part of the country.
Tonight my cold is back--lots of sneezing and blowing my nose until it's red. And Jacob is here, though fairly subdued. I gave him ten minutes to play with his toys and then it's sleep time, so I must go check on him.

No comments: