Sunday, February 14, 2010

Kay Bailey Hutchison

No, folks, this isn't a political post. I'm worried about Kay Bailey, because I like her. I don't like her politics, don't particualrly want her to be governor, won't vote for her (although I considered it just to vote against Rick Perry, who has been in office way too long and whose claims about how wonderfully Texas is doing ring false against our educational standing, health care programs, etc.). But all that's neither here nor there. I have the feeling that if Kay Bailey and I sat down together to talk about children and grandchildren, we'd find ourselves friends. I admire and respect her, because she obviously believes in her stand on Texas and what she could do for it, and she worked hard to get to the U. S. Senate and while she was there. I think she's a dedicated public servant, if that's not an oxymoron any more.
But here's why I'm worried: she's up against Mr. Goodhair who oozes charisma and confidence (hard for me to see since I dislike his policies, but I know it's true--a lot of Texans think he hung the moon; then again, he only got 37% or something of the last vote, not exactly a roaring vote of confidence). But Kay (if I may be so familiar) has got to spark up her act. She always looks tired and slightly sad when she talks about the issues. I get no sense of an inner core of vitality, even when I'm cheering for her. I hate to get personal about this, but she needs a make-over. It's probaby too late for a facelift (and I'm opposed to those anyway, even having had cosmetic surgery for the inherited turkey wattles at my chin). But her hair, her clothes, and her makeup could be brightened. And then, oh really, she needs a coach to help her come across as more vital, more active, more optimistic. Surely I want her to beat Perry in the primary, but polls are not looking good. In my simple-minded way, the above is the solution for her, but she needs to do it tomorrow. Good luck, Kay.
Somehow today it took me all morning to go to Central Market,unload the dishwasher, do my yoga,shower, etc. But tonight I had a lovely dinner and really fun visit with Sue. She fixed short ribs (which I've never fixed and am not sure I've ever eaten before, but they were delicious), wonderful sauteed tiny new potatoes, and asparugs, and we chattered and chattered. She brightened what I thought would be a long Sunday, and I know I'm going to miss her a lot when she moves.

No comments: