Monday, February 08, 2010

Changing Faces

The picture is small but maybe you noticed that I changed my profile picture on the blog. The one I've used is a favorite of my kids, with me in a western-style dress left from my active days in Western Writers of America. But it's old--15 years at least, probably more like 20, and I have to admit to having aged a bit in that time. The new picture shows me in my favorite role--as Juju, the grandmother. It was taken in May 2008 when all the kids came home (maybe Mother's Day?). They had come home to have all the grandbabies dedicated at my church (the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ does not baptize infants but dedicates them to Christ, which eally amounts to asking parents to pledge to raise them in a Christian home; then when a child is about 12, he or she can attend Pastor's Class in preparation for baptism, which is a full dunk; Megan once at an older age wanted to join the church but didn't want to be dunked--a old friend of mine said, "Just lie, honey. God won't care!"). Since only one of my children is a member of the church, we couldn't have the dedication in the sanctuary during a service, but two of the ministers kindly arranged a private ceremony in the chapel. Lots of my friends came and, of course, afterward I hosted a luncheon (never miss a chance for a party is my motto). After the guests left, the kids were packing up cars. I can't remember why, but it was a long, involved process, so my job was to sit on the porch and hold three-week-old Kegan, Colin and Lisa's son and the youngest of my grandchildren. (Kegan will be three in early April--times does fly as they say). I was most content and so, obviously, was Kegan. I liked the picture, and I also liked the picture of my brother and me taken at the same time, so I'm posting it here. I think it's good to change your image once in a while.
Cold, nasty, rainy day here today. I worked all morning, went to lunch at the Black-Eyed Pea for a veggie plate--pure down-home comfort--and spent much of the afternoon at the office. The end result was that I didn't get my nap until 5:30 because I was trying to tie up odds and ends on my desk. Jordan called a bit after five and I told her I hadn't had my nap yet. She asked if it wasn't a little late for a nap and I said no, by gosh, I'm going to get my nap. I slept until 6:45, had a late cold supper, and now must get to work.

No comments: