Thursday, February 04, 2010

A cooking experiment

I spent most of the morning in a staff meeting and a good share of the afternoon working on TCU Press business. In between, Jeannie and I went to Gloria's for lunch--delicious chicken vegetable soup--and DSW where we didn't find shoes to suit either of us. We had planned to go to Half Price Books in Burleson, a suburb, and eat at Babe's, where I've wanted to eat forever, but it was rainy, cold, dismal, dull--neither of us fancied the idea.
Tonight I have Jacob, though he arrived late and it was almost 7:30 before I fed us dinner. I decided on cheese toast for him, with some of those sweet cherub tomatoes he likes, plus green beans and carrots I'd cooked fresh. For myself, I experimented--I'd seen several recipes for using parchment, and since the girls had convinced me I should bring parchment to Breckenridge and then didn't use it, I have a plentiful supply. So I decided to make a recipe that called, I thought, for asparagus and mushrooms with an egg--well it turned out it was spinach and mushrooms, which would have worked better because my asparagus, not being small and tender, was almost too crisp, if that can be. But timing such a dish in a 400 degree oven can be tricky. I put it in, set Jacob's toast to broil, and then he announced he had to go potty. Only two minutes left on my egg--I like my eggs runny but cooked, and I was afraid of overcooking. So I turned the oven off and cracked it, tended to Jacob, who then said he wanted his pajamas. I got them, but he began unloading his backpack. And when I'd say, "Jacob, come put your pajamas on," he'd reply, "Be patient, Juju, be patient." LIttle does he realize that's not one of his grandmother's best traits. Finally I left him, got the dinners, and he ate in his underwear. My egg was sort of like a fried egg with bits of runny white (not appealing) on the plate. I think it became fried  rather than poached becuase of my ineptness at the parchment technique, but it's a recipe I'll try again.
Jacob is sleeping in the family room for the first time tonight. He's been sleeping in the guest room (next to my room) on a mattress on the floor, but we promised him, after much begging, that we would put the mattress back on the trundle bed where it belongs (improves my decorating no end). Of course, there's that usual adjustment--"I'm scared," "I want the light on," etc. So right now I'm holding my breath. The light is very bright, and I'm afraid he won't go to sleep, but the monitor is quiet so far. I have to have him up, fed and dressed by 8:30 tomorrow--a rush for both of us.
It's been over two weeks since he spent the night, and I was as delighted to have him as he was to be here. We had a good happy evening, though when he wanted to be left alone he'd say, "Go read your book." That child is getting to sophisticated--and insighful--a vocabulary.

No comments: