Saturday, February 06, 2010

Out of the Mouth's of Babes

Jacob is here again tonight, but I'm still chuckling (well, half of me is) over his comments two nights ago. For the first time, he slept in the trundle in the family room--we had taken the mattress off and put it on the floor in the guest room next to my room, but he insisted he wanted to sleep in the family room (I think he thought he'd have access to the TV all night). At eleven I found him still awake, so then ensued bed-hopping. He wanted to sleep in my bed, a prospect I really didn't welcome but gave in to. So he gathered all his toys--many Spiderman figures, etc.--and got in my bed. That didn't last long--he wasn't happy. So we gathered all his toys and went back to his bed. I tucked him in, kissed him, and started away when he looked at me and said, "Last chance?" "Yeah," I said, "last chance." As I left he called out "Sweet dreams." It was after 11:30 beffore I got to bed, and then I kept rolling over on a small race car left behind--most uncomfortable. Jacob was up before seven the next morning. All I could think about for the first couple of hours of the morning was how badly I wanted to go back to bed.
 Now it's only ten, and he's down, but I'm not sure of the outlook. He had a million reasons he wasn't ready to go to bed, but I finally kissed him and left, with "Sweet dreams!" following me. He likes to play in his bed with his toys for a while, which is fine, but I'll go back in a bit and see if he's asleep.
Fixed a great dinner tonight--sauteed mushrooms, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and bay scallops. Jacob had chicken nuggets, potato with butter, and cherry tomatoes that he likes--he turned down the blueberries that he usually eats, but I enjoyed them. I've decided I've been obsessing about Weight Watchers and am going to ignore it, yet weigh weekly, eat sensibly and see what happens. With that rationalization, I had two bites of a really rich carrot cake with sinful cream cheese icing that my neighbor, Jay, made and brought over when he helped me collect paint samples to send to Megan who is remodeling and likes the color of my walls.  It's kind of taupe,and I like it a lot too.
Serious work went out the window today. I kept getting caught up in office details and emails, and I made some phone calls for the church. Finally decided working on my editing project was out for the day and finished the mystery I'm reading, started a new one. So many books, so little time.
The sun was shining all day today, and it was a welcome relief, even though it was a bit cold. No rain tomorrow but cold, and I will have to gear myself up to do the things I didn't do today--clean the dog yard, water the porch plants, etc. Then we're in this week for more cold, wet weather, and some night-time temperatures in the 20s. Punxsutawney Phil really did see his shadow this year! I am tired of being cold.

No comments: