Saturday, February 13, 2010

A culinary report

Last night I fixed Welsh Rarebit, something my mom used to fix. No, it's not rabbit. Somewhere I read a colorful description of the term, indicating it meant "small serving," but now all I can find is the idea that Welsh peasants ate it when they couldn't afford rabbit--or weren't allowed to eat rabbit by the Lords of the land. (I may have blogged about the other version and if so I apologize for repeating myself.) At any ate, it is a thick, seasoned cheese sauce served over toast--Mom used to serve it on saltines for Sunday supper. The best recipe I have calls for stout and white cheddar, but I'm a believer in using what you have--and I had Coors Light and Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar. You make a butter and flour roux, seasoned with Worcestershire and dry mustard, and then stir in the cheese. This particular recipe calls for pickling red onion slices in vinegar, water, sugar and salt--they do add a piquant touch. Anyway, I served Jacob his (sans onons), and he, the child who loves cheese toast, took one look and said, "I don't like it." I ate mine and part of his and ended up fixing him a hot dog, but I swear I am going to stop substituting for foods that he doesn't like without even trying. I'm ready to believe kids have innate dislikes--Jamie, my best eater, couldn't and still can't abide mushrooms and lamb. So be it. But not without tasting. I raised my kids with a three bites for politeness rule, and I still think it's a good idea. Meantime, I like the the rarebit.
Tonight, sans Jacob, I fixed sardines and spaghetti. The sardines were good but what makes the dish is a topping of sauteed capers (have you ever fried them? They blossom (open) and turn a darker shade--delicious). You mix the capers with fried bread crumbs, a bit of dill (I couldn't taste it, which was okay), and salt and pepper. It's a recipe I'll keep and try again.
I went through recipes today, looking for casseroles for a couple of upcoming dinners and finding things I wanted to cook for myself, like tuna cakes, a layered dish of green beans, smoked salmon, and egg salad (why can't I use the spinach in my fridge), and a salad dressing I haven't made in ages that is, to say the least, robust.
Jamie is in New York and called Thursday night to say he sent me an innovative present but had to send it overnight and it would come Friday. It didn't but it was here today--a 2 lb. corned beef brisket from Carnegie Deli in Manhattan. Pre-cooked. I invited Jay and Susan to share it Monday night and will invite Sue to join us tomorrow. I'll serve it with a salad of avocado, watercress and beets and that robust dressing and then colcannon. The latter is an Irish recipe mixing mashed potatoes, cooked cabbage, and onion. I debated between that and Reubens, but colcannon won out--I've always wanted to cook it.
All this about food is not making me the least bit hungry--that sardine pasta was filling!
The sun came out today, the snow melted, and we almost have our world back, though it will take a few days for all the snow to disappear. Meanwhile, it leaves mud in its wake. When I set off for the grocery this morning, the driveway was iffy--Jordan was sure I couldn't make it, but I did. Then she couldn't walk down the incline and had to cut across the yard to the sidewalk--I almost offered her my cane. When I came home, it was a bit iffy getting up the incline, but I held firm--and slow--and all was fine. Tonight all snow on the drive is gone except for the grassy (mud) portion in the middle. I honestly do remember how to drive on snow but that was the only time today I had to use my great skill. Streets were clear, and it was lovely to see the sun and to get out of the house.

No comments: