Thursday, March 18, 2010

Working and eating

For weeks now, I've had an essay about Elmer Kelton hanging over my head. Maybe I'm still too close to the subject, still astounded at a world without Elmer, but I couldn't get to it. I wrote about a thousand words and stalled, distracted by other, easier projects--well, not easier but different. But today I resolved to get back to it and wrote about 1500 words. My assignment is the preface to a festschrift (a volume of essays in honor of the subject), so really I'm writing an overview of Elmer''s life and career, and I have to avoid stepping on the toes of those who are writing about various aspects of his work. I cannot for instance venture into the humor in his novels, nor the commentary on race relations, and I fear I may have trod on the toes of my friend Ruth McAdams, whose subject is "Kelton on Kelton." But an editor can sort that out, and I am now delighted that I see the end in sight. Tonight I'm tired and don't want to tackle summing up Elmer's career (as if that was ever in my capability), but I can see where it is going. Confession: much of what I have written comes directly from Elmer Kelton and West Texas: A Literary Biography, by one Judy Alter, published in 1988. The trouble is that Elmer had a full and prolific career between 1988 andhis death in 2009. Writing it, and reading my own words about Elmer, has brought him back full force into my consciousness,and as I said in an memorial piece I wrote, "There's a hole in Texas literature that will not be easily filled," and I cannot get used to the thought of a world without Elmer Kelton.
The highlights of my day were, I'm afraid, meals. I met two TCU friends for lunch--women I've known but don't often lunch with. We ate at an Italian restaurant and I went in determined to have a salad, except I didn't see one that appealed to me. The special of the day was lamb stew which almost broke down all my resolve, but I settled on a veal dish and ate very little of the pasta. It was delicious. Then Betty and I had sushi for dinner--I had the house salad at Tokyo Cafe (our favorite place). The salad has a semi-sweet plum dressing, which I would think I would hate but I don't--I really like it. I had salmon sashimi, so without the rice it isn't too many points. The good news is that I lost a pound last week, so I hope to continue that this week. Lots of tuna fish salad, which is fine by me. With Jordan's b'day dinner and the Frisco Alters here Saturday and Sunday, I may break my diet, but I'll keep trying.
Spring is trying to happen in Fort Worth, but it doesn't really make it. A predicted high of 70 never reached beyond 64, and when I went to lunch it seemed cool to me. Tomorrow is supposed to be lovely, but Saturday and Sunday will be rainy and cool. Monday I'm going plant shopping with Jeannie, so I sincerely hope we'll have no more freezes.

No comments: